DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to drones

Banger

Reactions
Hi, I’m looking at getting a Mavic Pro. Where is the best place to fly them around the Hull, Hessle area?

I can’t give specifics, but I recommend downloading an app called Drone Assist. This will tell you what areas in the UK you either must take care, or absolutely must not fly in.

Reactions: Drone_guy
Hi, I’m looking at getting a Mavic Pro. Where is the best place to fly them around the Hull, Hessle area?

Hi. I was originally from East Yorkshire. Now in North Yorkshire just outside York.
You can fly from Hessle foreshore, it’s crown property (belongs to the Queen) and she has kindly given permission to fly drones any where on the Crown estates foreshore between high and low water mark.
I’ve used it to fly over and under the Humber bridge. Failing that there are some lovely areas around you. Saltend would be nice. There is a no fly zone around Hull prison, obviously.
I’m not sure what transport you have, but you can easily reach Cottingham, and probably the windmill.
You can go to the Wolds, or Bridlington, Scarborough, Withernsea, Hornsea and the Mere.

Last edited:
Hi. I was originally from East Yorkshire. Now in North Yorkshire just outside York.
You can fly from Hessle foreshore, it’s crown property (belongs to the Queen) and she has kindly given permission to fly drones any where on the Crown estates foreshore between high and low water mark.
I’ve used it to fly over and under the Humber bridge. Failing that there are some lovely areas around you. Saltend would be nice. There is a no fly zone around Hull prison, obviously.
I’m not sure what transport you have, but you can easily reach Cottingham, and probably the windmill.
You can go to the Wolds, or Bridlington, Scarborough, Withernsea, Hornsea and the Mere.

Thanks Choo Choo for the advice. What drone have you got?

Thanks Choo Choo for the advice. What drone have you got?

I have the Mavic Pro 2. I did have the Mavic Pro but just sold it this weekend. My pal has a spark. He wishes he’d spent a bit more and got the MP because of the shorter flying time of the spark. So he’s saving his pennies and will be getting the MP2.
I recommend downloading an app called NATs. (National Air Traffic safety) it gives you all the hazards such as overhead power cables and when there is a temporary NFZ (no fly zone) planned for the area. During the summer there was one for 2 days over Cleethorpes, Hull and East Yorkshire and North Norfolk because of low flying aircraft celebrating the 100th birthday of the RAF (Royal Air Force).
It will also show Hull prison and Everthorpe as a NFZ..... and more...download a free weather app, such as UAV Forecast. This will give you the wind speeds and tell you if it’s good to fly. Phew...

Last edited:
I have the Mavic Pro 2. I did have the Mavic Pro but just sold it this weekend. My pal has a spark. He wishes he’d spent a bit more and got the MP because of the shorter flying time of the spark. So he’s saving his pennies and will be getting the MP2.

I thought about the Mavic Pro 2, but I thought I would settle for the Mavic Pro. I have never flown a drone, so though the Mavic Pro would be ok. Is the camera ok and Video? Still trying to make up my mind and part with my money.

I thought about the Mavic Pro 2, but I thought I would settle for the Mavic Pro. I have never flown a drone, so though the Mavic Pro would be ok. Is the camera ok and Video? Still trying to make up my mind and part with my money.

The photos and video of the original Mavic are exceptional. The MP2 is good but for what we use, I’d stick with the original. The MP2 is great, has a few mins extra flying time and a few extra features such as hyper lapse and collision sensors at back, whereas the original only has the on the front and underneath.

The photos and video of the original Mavic are exceptional. The MP2 is good but for what we use, I’d stick with the original. The MP2 is great, has a few mins extra flying time and a few extra features such as hyper lapse and collision sensors at back, whereas the original only has the on the front and underneath.

If you’ve never flown a drone, please please please binge on as many you tube tutorials as possible. I recommend 51drones or ikopta as informative and unbiased without excess waffle.
Some just like the sound of their own voices.

I’m away from Thursday, I’m flying out to Rome for a few days. But if you need ANY help or advice, just leave a message on here or the other place I told you about in my PM to you.

So as a newbie. I can't go wrong with the Mavic Pro then?

That’s it There are others on the market but in my opinion, and I’ve tried a few, you can’t go wrong with a Mavic Pro as long as you follow the instructions and take flying safety as important. Most flyaways and crashes are pilot error. Either they haven’t recorded the home point correctly, or took off from reinforced concrete, which throws the compass off. Or just simply ignored either the ‘High wind’ warnings or cancelled the ‘low battery returning to home’ warning and continued flying, and wondered why the aircraft landed when the battery got critically low

Another favourite is trying to fly indoors with the collision sensors turned on and the collision avoidance set to raise up to avoid an object. The aircraft senses something in the room and then zooms up, smacking into the ceiling. It’s not a fault of the craft, it’s the pilot who didn’t check and adjust the settings before taking off.

Thanks for the advice. I think I will find a nice flat piece of grass out in the sticks. I'm thinking of ordering it tomorrow.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rejdmast