DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

New to litchi

BuyANet

Reactions
hey! So I am new to litchi (and drone flying all together).

The waypoint missions on the PC is the main reason I bought it, followed by how easily the orbit feature works.

After playing with it for a day, are those really the only 2 reasons to use litchi over the dji go 4 app? The DJI app seems so much more user friendly.

Now this might just be because litchi is new to me but first impressions .... the user friendliness isn't there.

Any rookie tips? I am on iOS.

hey! So I am new to litchi (and drone flying all together).

The waypoint missions on the PC is the main reason I bought it, followed by how easily the orbit feature works.

After playing with it for a day, are those really the only 2 reasons to use litchi over the dji go 4 app? The DJI app seems so much more user friendly.

Now this might just be because litchi is new to me but first impressions .... the user friendliness isn't there.

Any rookie tips? I am on iOS.

Watch YouTube how to videos

litchi mavic - YouTube

Last edited:
Some things I've learned from using Litchi waypoints for 20+ missions, down rivers, over lakes, around schools and parks etc:

• Always check (and recheck) your altitudes of each waypoint
  • If you're crossing something (anything), make sure your altitude changes to clear that obstacle
  • Place a waypoint before an obstacle to get to a clear altitude, Litchi gradually changes altitude.
  • Always check your cruising speed
  • Don't be afraid of using a bunch of waypoints to get your camera into position.
  • Be wary of putting POI's, in succession, on opposite sides of the compass, you'll get crazy swings.
  • Revise your gimbal speed settings to get smoother changes of angles (look them up on youtube, I forget what I have)
  • Revise your mavic turning and speed settings to get smoother changes of angles (look them up on youtube, I forget what I have)
  • Always check which POI's you're pointing at
  • Always check to make sure "POI" button is selected at every waypoint, if you're using them.
  • You lose "actions" at each waypoint with curved lines (except I do get "start recording", but only that one), but curves makes video so much smoother.
  • I don't think you have obstacle avoidance when running a mission, but I have gotten warnings when I faced the sun on a mission.
  • Make your first waypoint directly above your home point. Especially if your 2nd waypoint is behind an obstacle.
  • Make your last waypoint directly above your home point. If you lose contact, Litchi will finish the mission, right above you.
  • Remember the altitudes are referenced from your take off point. So if you have the altitude at 150 feet, that is 150' above the take off point. Mind where your take off point is in relation to the surrounding terrain.
  • If you think you're far enough away from a waypoint to get good video of it, you're probably not. Back up some more.
  • ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure you set your RTH altitude much much higher than any obstacle it would fly over to come back home.

This was my first real mission around our local high school. Flew there (probably a mile from my house), then started the recording...it's pretty dark, I was still new :)

Some things I've learned from using Litchi waypoints for 20+ missions, down rivers, over lakes, around schools and parks etc:

• Always check (and recheck) your altitudes of each waypoint
  • If you're crossing something (anything), make sure your altitude changes to clear that obstacle
  • Place a waypoint before an obstacle to get to a clear altitude, Litchi gradually changes altitude.
  • Always check your cruising speed
  • Don't be afraid of using a bunch of waypoints to get your camera into position.
  • Be wary of putting POI's, in succession, on opposite sides of the compass, you'll get crazy swings.
  • Revise your gimbal speed settings to get smoother changes of angles (look them up on youtube, I forget what I have)
  • Revise your mavic turning and speed settings to get smoother changes of angles (look them up on youtube, I forget what I have)
  • Always check which POI's you're pointing at
  • Always check to make sure "POI" button is selected at every waypoint, if you're using them.
  • You lose "actions" at each waypoint with curved lines (except I do get "start recording", but only that one), but curves makes video so much smoother.
  • I don't think you have obstacle avoidance when running a mission, but I have gotten warnings when I faced the sun on a mission.
  • Make your first waypoint directly above your home point. Especially if your 2nd waypoint is behind an obstacle.
  • Make your last waypoint directly above your home point. If you lose contact, Litchi will finish the mission, right above you.
  • Remember the altitudes are referenced from your take off point. So if you have the altitude at 150 feet, that is 150' above the take off point. Mind where your take off point is in relation to the surrounding terrain.
  • If you think you're far enough away from a waypoint to get good video of it, you're probably not. Back up some more.
  • ALWAYS ALWAYS make sure you set your RTH altitude much much higher than any obstacle it would fly over to come back home.

This was my first real mission around our local high school. Flew there (probably a mile from my house), then started the recording...it's pretty dark, I was still new :)

Awesome pointers, thank you! Yeah the waypoints are so cool to do on the PC and I've been playing with them also. Good tip on altitude, I was guessing it's from the home point but wasn't 100%.

The POI altitude seems to defaults to 3 feet ... would that mean the POI is 3 feet off the ground? So if I lets say want to focus on a 100 foot tower, I'd set it to 100 feet?

Thanks

..The POI altitude seems to defaults to 3 feet ... would that mean the POI is 3 feet off the ground? So if I lets say want to focus on a 100 foot tower, I'd set it to 100 feet?
Correct.
Also allow for the height difference between take off point and base of tower. So if 100' tower is atop a hill 300' higher than where you took off set it to 400' and so on.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kotszamana