DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Newbie to Mavic Mini

6 String Fan

Reactions
Hi all!
I'm brand new to flying a decent quality drone and find my Mavic Mini to be almost too easy to fly!
Having flown other radio control 'fixed wing' airplanes I have become used to different controls than what are available on my 'mini' though.
In fixed wing a back stick would cause my plane to rise and forward stick would cause it to descend, just like in a 'real' aircraft.
I tried a 'custom' setting on the 'mini's' controls but I cannot reverse the joystick configuration as 'custom' only allows a few variations.
The mini forces me to 'try' to remember that forward stick causes it to rise and back stick is descend. Apparently I cannot change that.
This has caused me to run into a tall weed which brought it down, fortunately, without damage.
But, I am forced to re-think the joystick when flying the quadracopter.
Now I'm worried that if I fly the drone a lot, that I'll forget the joystick controls of my fixed wing planes and end up crashing one of them.
Well, that's really the only drawback that I found with my new toy, except that I hear that living in a 'rural' area that neighbors enjoy using drones for target practice....

Otherwise, it's kind of amazing to me how simple and stable this device is to fly.

I had a sailplane instructor who once told me...."You can pilot here....or you can pile it there!"

Hi all!
I'm brand new to flying a decent quality drone and find my Mavic Mini to be almost too easy to fly!
Having flown other radio control 'fixed wing' airplanes I have become used to different controls than what are available on my 'mini' though.
In fixed wing a back stick would cause my plane to rise and forward stick would cause it to descend, just like in a 'real' aircraft.
I tried a 'custom' setting on the 'mini's' controls but I cannot reverse the joystick configuration as 'custom' only allows a few variations.
The mini forces me to 'try' to remember that forward stick causes it to rise and back stick is descend. Apparently I cannot change that.
This has caused me to run into a tall weed which brought it down, fortunately, without damage.
But, I am forced to re-think the joystick when flying the quadracopter.
Now I'm worried that if I fly the drone a lot, that I'll forget the joystick controls of my fixed wing planes and end up crashing one of them.
Well, that's really the only drawback that I found with my new toy, except that I hear that living in a 'rural' area that neighbors enjoy using drones for target practice....

Otherwise, it's kind of amazing to me how simple and stable this device is to fly.

I had a sailplane instructor who once told me...."You can pilot here....or you can pile it there!"
Hello there. Practice makes perfect. Enjoy flying and be safe. ?⚽️?

@6 String Fan the problem is due to the way that a drone is controlled , the stick that makes a plane climb is controlling the pitch of the aircraft ,on the drone it is controlling the throttle ,
by increasing the speed of the props to make it climb or reducing the speed to descend ,so it is natural for the stick to be pushed up for lift ,and down for descent

I had the same problems a few years back (planes vs drones controls), but practice made it a muscle memory.
You are still young and what's left of your mind and body will surprise you.

@6 String Fan the problem is due to the way that a drone is controlled , the stick that makes a plane climb is controlling the pitch of the aircraft ,on the drone it is controlling the throttle ,
by increasing the speed of the props to make it climb or reducing the speed to descend ,so it is natural for the stick to be pushed up for lift ,and down for descent
Yeah, and I was explaining that to my wife yesterday. Elevator control is different than throttle...And I just have to remember that I'm flying something different than fixed wing.
It's just a little bit tough getting the muscle memory to change my old habits!
Thanks!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Electrakill21