DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Night Flights ?

rickw

Reactions
Hey guys,are there any settings I should turn on or off for flying at night? Does the mavic handle as good at night? Just trying to cover my bases to avoid issues,thanks

Turning off the Front lights is an idea when filming to stop glare in to the camera, but try to minimise the time they are switched off, survey the area first, look out for things like power / telephone wires and other obstructions that might not show up easily at night. Always be aware of your Height vs Terrain. Be extra cautious, plan it, check it and check it again in daylight. Always remain in Line of Sight. Get yourself as close to the subject you want to film, don't try any 1-2kM night flights.

Remember the Colision Avoidance will not work in low light conditions so don't rely on this to prevent a crash / strike

?????????????

He's referring to the sensor issues -- they have a hard time telling what's what in the dark. I disable all of them, including the visual assist stuff. If you take off and land from a WELL light area, you may be able to use those, but I just practiced until I can land manually on a dime. At this point I trust myself more than the flight computer. :)

You'll also want some lights so you can see the orientation of the Mavic. I use a combination of tiny (but BRIGHT) strobes from forum member msinger at: DJI Mavic Pro STROBON Cree Light Mounts - Phantom Help

You can arrange the colors how you want, but I put red on the front, green on the sides, and white on the back. (I found doing the traditional green/red port/starboard thing doesn't work well fro quads -- not enough distance between the lights to make it effective).

I also use these guys:
$_35.JPG

^^^ Those LEDs are surprising powerful and 1 AAA will power it for about 3-4 batteries. I just hit the Dollar Store and stock up. :) This item interferes with the downward sensors --- another reason to turn 'em off.

Have fun! Night flying, while presenting a challenge for photos/videos, is so much better than daytime flying in so many ways! (IMHO!)

Reactions: rickw
Is the mavic harder to fly with sensors off? thanks everybody for your help

I fly at night most of the time and have yet to experience any of the instability folks are talking about. I only have my front sensors on. The one thing I highly recommend is to ensure you know the environment well with terrain and obstacles that can't be seen at night.

I fly at night most of the time and have yet to experience any of the instability folks are talking about. I only have my front sensors on. The one thing I highly recommend is to ensure you know the environment well with terrain and obstacles that can't be seen at night.

I think it's just a difference on what some people view as instability. With no VPS enabled or able to see the ground the hover accuracy becomes only as good as just the GPS can provide which is is only accurate to a meter I believe. So IMO it's not that it's an instability as it's just not quite as accurate as when VPS can do it's thing.

I think it's illegal to fly at night where I live (US).

I have some very tiny, powerful LED lights (surefire) I could put on it, but they're not useful at long distance.

But I thinks it's illegal. I need to research this.

Reactions: fiftiesnut
I am in California and can tell you based on the answers I've received from folks in the industry and the local FAA, recreational night flights are not illegal. Of course I would also recommend conducting your own due diligence to confirm locally so you have it in writing and so it's not coming from some guy on the internet. Good luck... Night flights are much more relaxing.

I think it's illegal to fly at night where I live (US)...

My understanding is that if you are 107 pilot you cannot fly at night or after twilight without an FAA waiver. However, there is no federal law that prohibits a recreational hobbyist from flying at night. There are "guidelines" which suggest not doing it but they do not have true force of law. Violation of voluntary guidelines, however, might be considered by FAA looking into possible civil reckless flying charge or by state, county, or city prosecutors looking into possible criminal charge of trespass, stalking, nuisance, invasion of privacy, or reckless endangerment depending on the totality of the circumstances.

Reactions: fiftiesnut
My understanding is that if you are 107 pilot you cannot fly at night or after twilight without an FAA waiver. However, there is no federal law that prohibits a recreational hobbyist from flying at night. There are "guidelines" which suggest not doing it but they do not have true force of law. Violation of voluntary guidelines, however, might be considered by FAA looking into possible civil reckless flying charge or by state, county, or city prosecutors looking into possible criminal charge of trespass, stalking, nuisance, invasion of privacy, or reckless endangerment depending on the totality of the circumstances.

Would recommend that you contact the FAA or their facilities around your area and get the information directly from them in writing. What I was told verbally and in writing does not cite any guidelines regarding night flight. ZERO mention.

Now if those "guidelines" could have been used to deny my indefinite operations request on any given day at my location in urban CA, I'm pretty sure the FAA contact would have cited the specific guideline such as them telling me they could cite JO 7200.23A to deny my operation if they felt night flight was considered endangerment and such. Which they stated they would not.

Recreational night flying is 100% legal in the US. Under recreational model rules, you should be following "community based" practices, in this case we mainly site the AMA's guidelines which stipulate you need to be able to tell the orientation of the aircraft at all times.

I would argue that night flying with proper lighting is much safer. Other aircraft, manned or unmanned, can see you for over a mile out and you have VLOS distance that just isn't possible in the daytime.

Back to the main issue of Mavic performance -- nothing other than what was mentioned. I've flew many, many hours with my Mavic at night with no issues --- as long as I disable those sensors.

However, there is no federal law that prohibits a recreational hobbyist from flying at night. There are "guidelines" which suggest not doing it but they do not have true force of law. Violation of voluntary guidelines, however, might be considered by FAA looking into possible civil reckless flying charge or by state, county, or city prosecutors looking into possible criminal charge of trespass, stalking, nuisance, invasion of privacy, or reckless endangerment depending on the totality of the circumstances.

Where did you read/see that the FAA guidelines discourage night flights?

This is straight from the FAA site (Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions)

Option #1. Fly in accordance with the Special Rule for Model Aircraft (Public Law 112-95 Section 336). Under this rule, operators must:
  1. Fly for hobby or recreational purposes only
  2. Follow a community-based set of safety guidelines
  3. Fly the UAS within visual line-of-sight
  4. Give way to manned aircraft
  5. Provide prior notification to the airport and air traffic control tower, if one is present, when flying within 5 miles of an airport
  6. Fly UAS that weigh no more than 55 lbs. unless certified by a community-based organization

The AMA is commonly regarded as the best source of model AC safety guidelines. Here's what they say about night flying:
RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination systems are inadequate for night flying operations.
https://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf

So all that being said, I have read in various places where the reporter or writer states that night flying is a no-no -- (which is where maybe you got this idea.) These writers may be in a country where night flying is illegal or could just be ignorant or the rules. Bottom line: Recreational night flying is 100% legal and 1000% fun. :)

...The AMA is commonly regarded as the best source of model AC safety guidelines. Here's what they say about night flying:
RC night flying requires a lighting system providing the pilot with a clear view of the model’s attitude and orientation at all times. Hand-held illumination systems are inadequate for night flying operations...Bottom line: Recreational night flying is 100% legal and 1000% fun. :)

I personally do not think the "guidelines" can be used to say a particular activity is 100% legal or illegal in every situation. It depends on the facts and circumstances and the subjective view of local prosecutor. That is one reason I sought to distinguish guidelines from statutory law. Do you believe the Mavic lighting system is perfectly adequate to meet the letter and intent of the AMA guideline regardless of circumstances or would it depend on the person and the situation?

I personally do not think the "guidelines" can be used to say a particular activity is 100% legal or illegal in every situation. It depends on the facts and circumstances and the subjective view of local prosecutor. That is one reason I sought to distinguish guidelines from statutory law. Do you believe the Mavic lighting system is perfectly adequate to meet the letter and intent of the AMA guideline regardless of circumstances or would it depend on the person and the situation?

A prosecutor has to charge you with a crime. There is no law against flying for recreation at night. That should solve that. (Jeez.. this is turning into a Matlock forum instead of a Mavic forum. LOL)

To answer the other question: The stock Mavic lighting system is adequate if the distance isn't too far. Solid red in the front and a green / yellow / red flash in the rear (depending on status). Beyond a few hundred yards you will want an after-market set of lights like the STROBONs -- then you can go out a couple miles.

Reactions: Dw911 and rickw
****,didn't want to start a legal battle,just want to fly at night,lol.Thanks again guys for all your help,might try tonight if wind calms down

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dugan