DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No Drone Zone Sign Hawaii ughh

Many parks do restrict TAKE OFF / LANDING there. Simply go outside that zone and do it. Airspace is typically open above the parks. Yet, be courteous and a good pilot to avoid people and such.
That is usually my approach to flying in areas you aren't allowed to take off from. However, do keep in mind that if the rule is there due to air traffic, don't even try. I had that in Belfast, Northern Ireland, where I wanted a to get some aerial footage in a certain area. I could no take off there, so I thought of going elsewhere and flying there until I saw the flight path for the local airport. I obviously didn't take off and just used my hand-held camera there. :)

Thanks to all you looked at the thread. I have another disappointing no drone sign on a Mountain side…here it is but you can go 4 wheeling all over the mountain side?? Go figure.
Those "No Drone" signs appear new. I flew from that viewing cliff for Waipi'o Valley a couple years ago and saw no signs. I think that's a rather new sign, but only for the viewing area at the cliff, where lots of people visit, getting quite crowded at times. It makes sense to not fly around so many folks. Did you see any signs down below at the beach when you took your 4X4 down there?
The beach down below is a great flight area. We rode motorcycles down to the beach area. That's a very steep and narrow road down to the beach, the longest road that steep in the country. That's why they only allow 4X4's down there, and motorcycles.
Here's my flight at Waipio Valley from Jan 2020. One flight was from the viewing cliff above, and one from the beach shoreline below.

Last edited:
Just pull out the sign and throw it over the cliff. :)

I have to say.... of all the CRAPPY advice I've seen given lately, this is possibly the worst of them all.

So because someone doesn't agree with the property owner/manager's rules you suggest Vandalizing/Destroying private property? Is that really how you operate and run your business?

My biggest hope is that no one reading your suggestion is dumb enough to take it seriously. It's all too easy to sit behind a keyboard and give horrible (and illegal advice) when you have nothing to lose. It's a shame we aren't held personally responsible for anything that happens should someone take your advice and get tangled up with the authorities over it. And coming from a seemingly "Professional Operator" no less..... We SHOULD hold ourselves to a higher standard than nonsense advice like this . . . .

How great would this look on the news, "Drone Operator removes Park sign and tosses it over the cliff in defiance of park rules & regulations". How much more CRAPPY publicity does our industry need right now?

Reactions: okw and jay2020
Those "No Drone" signs appear new. I flew from that viewing cliff for Waipi'o Valley a couple years ago and saw no signs. I think that's a rather new sign, but only for the viewing area at the cliff, where lots of people visit, getting quite crowded at times. It makes sense to not fly around so many folks. Did you see any signs down below at the beach when you took your 4X4 down there?
The beach down below is a great flight area. We rode motorcycles down to the beach area. That's a very steep and narrow road down to the beach, the longest road that steep in the country. That's why they only allow 4X4's down there, and motorcycles.
Here's my flight at Waipio Valley from Jan 2020. One flight was from the viewing cliff above, and one from the beach shoreline below.
Made it back! So no signs anywhere near the Waipio Valley area that you show. I was able to get that similar shot but it was a bit windy and intermittently misty so I didn't go out too far. Yeah you absolutely need 4x4, I can't believe you did it on a motorcycle (that's coming from a guy who rode his motorcycle up and down Mount Washington :) but this area is insane and worth the drive! Thanks for sharing!

Yeah you absolutely need 4x4, I can't believe you did it on a motorcycle (that's coming from a guy who rode his motorcycle up and down Mount Washington :) but this area is insane and worth the drive! Thanks for sharing!
They weren't rental motorcycles. I was on a DRZ400 Suzuki dual sport. My buddy, who lives in Kona, was on a Kawasaki KLR650 dual sport. He owned both bikes. That steep Waipio road was a piece of cake. He and I used to race in the Calif desert in the 70's when we were younger. Those bikes can go places that 4X4's can't. Interestingly enough, I drove my Honda CRV up Mt Washington in New Hampshire last month, but the summit was closed to snow and ice. We visited Middletown Rhode Island also, to see my wife's relatives. Small world.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glenn-S