DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

No Live Feed to Phone

Mister Pink

Reactions
Hello!

I had my first ever flight today with a UAV. Everything was perfect except, I have no live video feed to my phone. It's just a black screen. I'm getting all the telemetry - so there's data working, just no live video feed.

Some info:

• Firmware is all up to date
  • The phone is connected using provided cables
  • The camera on Mavic 2 works fine - captures photos and videos which I can view through the app's albums/cache
  • I'm using the internal storage as I haven't a micro SD (It's in the mail)
  • The phone might be incompatible - It's a Samsung J3 (2016) running Android 5.1.1
Troubleshooting steps:

• Uninstalled/re-installed app
  • Reset camera settings in DJI app.
  • Switched off all devices and switched them on.
  • Checked for a setting to disable my phone's camera but can't find one.

I'm stumped on this one. I used my phone as a field monitor using an app called DLSR Controller and although I had trouble with it working, I managed to get it working by opening app up while the device was all ready plugged into my DSLR (via micro USB) and it seemed to work.

Is there anything else I can try before I think of getting a new phone which I can't afford? If I need a new phone can someone tell me the best compatible budget Android to work with Mavic 2?

Sorry for the long post! Thanks in advance to anyone that can help!

Last edited:
Unplug the cable from the side of the RC and try using your phone's USB data cable.

Unplug the cable from the side of the RC and try using your phone's USB data cable.

Hi, thanks for the reply. The phone's generic data cable (which is just a USB to micro USB) wouldn't fit into the RC. I'd have to purchase another similar cable, if I'm understanding you correctly.

Plug it into the bottom full size usb of the remote control Completely remove the short cable from the side of the remote. Make sure it is a quality cable and not a cheap one. Some are charge only.
Also make sure there isn’t lint packed in the phone connector bottom.

Reactions: Mister Pink
I see. Didn't think of that. Thanks, I try that now...

Nah.. didn't work guys but thanks for the suggestions.

I think it's my phone not having enough RAM. I deleted as many apps and tried force-stopping them to free up RAM but there's still only half of the 1.5gb RAM available at any given time. As you are all probably aware, there's some apps that will just automatically have background processes that will re-activate immediately after force-stopping all apps.

I think I'll need a phone with a minimum of 2gbs RAM. It would kind of make sense of why the telemetry data appears fine but no video because telemetry is better than nothing, right? :D It's probably programmed to send whatever data it can but the video would be too much over around 650mbs of RAM.

At least here, we might see someone else with my phone (Samsung J3-6) and they might share their experience.

Not if you aren’t caching video. It’s just information over the wire. There is a thread about what phones are compatable. Do some forum searches.

Thanks, I found the list. If anyone else stumbles upon this thread and is curious for the list I'll link it below.
Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) - Phantom Help

Um... Did you by chance download DJI Go instead of DJI Go 4 onto your phone? Also, if you plug into the bottom port, make sure you remove the side cord. Lastly, make sure you didn't try to plug a cord in upside down. That can break the micro USB port. Make sure there is still a small tab inside the port.

Um... Did you by chance download DJI Go instead of DJI Go 4 onto your phone? Also, if you plug into the bottom port, make sure you remove the side cord. Lastly, make sure you didn't try to plug a cord in upside down. That can break the micro USB port. Make sure there is still a small tab inside the port.

Hi there.

• I downloaded DJI Go 4 app.
  • I removed the other USB before connecting with the big USB port.
  • I don't remember trying to plug the cable in upside down.

They're all valid suggestions/observations, I appreciate it.

What I've done now is bought a cheap Android 6.0 tablet. It has 2gb RAM and around 1.4gz. I bought it purely to try work with this. I know it's not on the list I posted above. It's a cheap Chinese tablet. I also needed a field monitor for my DLSR so it wont go to waste. I guess I'll know or might have some indication of if it's the USB port damaged or whatever.

There's nobody I can even borrow a device off to see if it works as my partner's phone isn't great.

Hi there.

• I downloaded DJI Go 4 app.
  • I removed the other USB before connecting with the big USB port.
  • I don't remember trying to plug the cable in upside down.

They're all valid suggestions/observations, I appreciate it.

What I've done now is bought a cheap Android 6.0 tablet. It has 2gb RAM and around 1.4gz. I bought it purely to try work with this. I know it's not on the list I posted above. It's a cheap Chinese tablet. I also needed a field monitor for my DLSR so it wont go to waste. I guess I'll know or might have some indication of if it's the USB port damaged or whatever.

There's nobody I can even borrow a device off to see if it works as my partner's phone isn't great.

Fair enough. The only other suggestion I have is to ask if you've upgraded the firmware? To do that you'll need to download DJI Assistant 2 onto your computer and plug the drone into it using the included usb to usb c cord.

Fair enough. The only other suggestion I have is to ask if you've upgraded the firmware? To do that you'll need to download DJI Assistant 2 onto your computer and plug the drone into it using the included usb to usb c cord.

I thought I updated the firmware but I know realize that it's probably only for the controller and the app but not the MP2 device itself.

Thanks, I'll try that now.

So I think updating the firmware via the app is the same as doing it through the assistant, right? If that's the case then all the firmware was up to date.

I tried it plugging in to it directly, just in case. but still no joy.

I'll report back if this cheap Chinese tablet works. I don't have high expectations but you never know. I get the table tomorrow, so will let you all know.

EDIT: I'm getting the exact same results :(

All the telemetry is there, but no video stream :(

EDIT 2: Ordered a used Samsung S6.

Last edited:
Plug it into the bottom full size usb of the remote control Completely remove the short cable from the side of the remote. Make sure it is a quality cable and not a cheap one. Some are charge only.
Also make sure there isn’t lint packed in the phone connector bottom.

I know this is an old post, but the micro connection on mavic pro controller, will accept a regular micro usb that an android phone would use but it's recommended to use the DJI usb cable that's supplied. Used to think that was just BS, but DJI put two tiny fins on female part of connection located on the controller to help guide the male end, that has two tiny grooves the fins slide along. A regular micro usb will fit in controller without the tiny grooves, problem is, if you attempt to put it in upside down, like many of us do the trial and error method of plugging in usb cables, those fins can get bent. After X amount of upside down failed connections with non DJI micro usb, the fins get bent up so bad the connection no longer works, and you either need to install new female connector or replace the controller. Hope this helps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000