DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Not your typical "crooked" gimbal posting...

talonhead

Reactions
Hey everyone. First posting here. However, I've been a quad pilot (racing and conventional) for about 7 years.

To the point, my Mavic Air2S gimbal at power off is not straight. Not even close. It seems "weighted" to swing down and to the far right. I've had two other Mavics in the past...both of which did not possess this trait. Maybe this is normal on some Mavics, and I just never saw it...I have no clue.

I'll add that this is a new 2S. Approx 6 crash-free flights to date. it's been like this since being removed from its box.

Can others chime in and let me know if this is something to worry about, or not. But most importantly, while powered up, it straightens up as it should. Horizons are just fine, and tilt operates as it should. I know I'm being picky here, but I call it being proactive.

See pic for a better understanding.

Thanks all! Seems like a great forum to share thoughts and get help.

Attachments

• 2sGimbal.jpeg
    2sGimbal.jpeg
    509.7 KB · Views: 24
Any rough landings? Any attempted power on with gimbal protector in place?
While powered off mine can be moved very gently and does not return to straight and level automatically. It remains mostly at the last gentle movement position. Power on is always fine.

Reactions: rjwmorrell
If you slowly rotate the gimbal (while power is off, better yet no battery installed) on each of the 3 axis, do you get any resistance or grinding feel?

The gimbal motors are only active when powered on and the camera may move freely at any direction based on touching it or gravity/etc. But debris in between the joints or motors can have some resistance in one way or another especially if you have been encountering gimbal overload errors.

Reactions: barrybcar
If you slowly rotate the gimbal (while power is off, better yet no battery installed) on each of the 3 axis, do you get any resistance or grinding feel?

The gimbal motors are only active when powered on and the camera may move freely at any direction based on touching it or gravity/etc. But debris in between the joints or motors can have some resistance in one way or another especially if you have been encountering gimbal overload errors.
Nope. Smooth as silk. Just a "weighted" need to rotate to the orientation as illustrated in the pic. But it seems the consensus is, that's it's fine. I just never have seen it. Even in YouTube vids of folks with Mavics, when at rest, their gimbals are straight (or at least more straight) when powered off.

Oh well...as long as she does what she's supposed to do with the fire is lit, that's the important thing. I was just making sure that a bigger problem wasn't developing in the process.

Mine does the same thing, everything works when turned on but when turned off it goes to that exact same position shown in the pictures above

Mine does the same thing, everything works when turned on but when turned off it goes to that exact same position shown in the pictures above
As someone else posted, the gimbal motors are only active when the drone is powered up. When you shut it down, the motors stop, so the gimbal floats around freely. That is why the drone comes with a cover for the gimbal: not only to protect the lens, but to prevent the gimbal from being slapped around when you throw it in a case and travel with it.

Totally normal...

Reactions: RaïmAir

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661