DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NPS Drone Day

A followup with my assessment of a National Park Service Drone Day. It seems highly unlikely that UAVs will ever be allowed in NPS lands. Yes, you can launch outside a park and then fly over a park. I consider this action unethical. It is doubtful pilots can get good images while maintaining VLOS. Success will likely damage our reputation as other park users observe drones overhead and complain to park officials.
Obviously my long dissertation lost the readers. I apologize, but it is a complex problem. The Park Service has an outright ban. That must change before UAVs are allowed in any park. Without a focused effort, UAVs will never gain access. Based on the response, the UAV community is made up of independent types who are unlikely to unite. I include myself in that mindset.
After researching the use of lands authorized for ATVs, the opportunities are limited. Some are affected by no fly restrictions from airports (Fire Island and Gateway-Sandy Hook), others have high wind probabilities, a couple have low scenic value, and Canyonlands is inaccessible without an ATV and a very long drive. ATVs are controversial throughout the park system. Their access is a legacy that the Park Service regrets.
So, get over it. Flying over our National Parks is not going to happen. And when you use the loophole it hurts the rest of us.

Reactions: halifax and BigAl07
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom