DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Obstacle detection happening when there are no obstacles. Why?

ihavequestions

Reactions
I have a Mavic 2 Pro. It happens almost every flight - just flying with no birds, open air and then it will stop suddenly because of what it thinks is an obstacle. In fact, I can almost not fly a straight path anymore because it happens almost every time.

Has anyone experienced this and is there a fix I can do for this?

Reactions: Droniac
Are the forward-looking sensors/cameras clean or fogged?

Inkedpro_full-e6fb206ec79ec8222e255078e81b87bb_LI.jpg

Reactions: zeusfl and Droniac
Mine did this a few times, I connected it to DJI Assistant and did re-calibration sorted the problem out.

I have seen flying into the sun mentioned as sometimes fooling it, taking that to be correct there may be other lighting conditions that do too.
The above said, if in open clear sky do you need it on? It's easy enough to switch on, touch the symbol in the top or drag it down etc. then make your choice, so I tend to switch it off when it's not needed.

Reactions: Meta4
I have seen flying into the sun mentioned as sometimes fooling it, taking that to be correct there may be other lighting conditions that do too.
The above said, if in open clear sky do you need it on? It's easy enough to switch on, touch the symbol in the top or drag it down etc. then make your choice, so I tend to switch it off when it's not needed.
Yeah, I think I'll start doing that. I will customize one of my keys for even faster access. I guess I wish it would work properly still though!

Turning it off is not a solution, it's a work-around that can get you in trouble.

If you decided to fly in open air with it off, you will
  • not be protected from bird strikes (I've had this happen several times, and you do not always see this coming unless you are always looking at your AC and never looking at your screen).
  • you will fly out of open air (closer to objects) and forget that you have obstacle detection turned off
The better solution is to fix your problem. I like the suggestion to re-calibrate. Personally, if that didn't fix mine and cleaning the sensors didn't help, I would send it in to be fixed. It's one of the main features of the product I paid for and it has done a wonderful job of reducing crashes to nearly zero.

FYI: I have had this occur, but it's always been a flying-into-the-sun situation and it has never been a frequent occurrence.

Chris

• not be protected from bird strikes (I've had this happen several times, and you do not always see this coming unless you are always looking at your AC and never looking at your screen)
Are you saying OA will react fast enough to avoid a bird flying across etc. the drone's flight path?
Being honest I would be very surprised if that was possible, my thinking is the combined speed of approach is simply too fast and the bird too small.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are

Are you saying OA will react fast enough to avoid a bird flying across etc. the drone's flight path?
Being honest I would be very surprised if that was possible, my thinking is the combined speed of approach is simply too fast and the bird too small.

What happens for me: a bird will come out of nowhere and start dive bombing the craft and if I'm looking at the screen rather than eyeballs on the aircraft, I might not know about the bird until I get the warning from the controller. At that point, I take evasive action.

I have had the craft stop or jerk when it that happens (I see that on the screen). You're right that it's probably not quick enough to avoid a bird if it is intent on making contact on first swoop, but so far that's not happened to me—it's usually just a swoop to scare off the threat. Then I'm alert.

Without the warning, the bird may continue swooping more without my knowledge (until I look up and see it with eyeballs). I prefer to have the first-swoop warning, because the odds that it will strike probably increases the more times it swoops.

Chris

Gulls and crows. The gulls when I shoot on an urban waterfront most especially during spring when I'm probably flying too close to their nests. The crows pretty much anywhere when they don't like me flying there. I've had the crows actually make physical contact with my HEAD while walking down the sidewalk minding my own business (not flying).

I've had a few eagles come to investigate when I'm flying in national forests (I'm in the Pacific Northwest), but none of those have done the dive bombing thing.

I have stills taken of crows in front of my aircraft up in the air, but I can't find any right now.

Chris

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots