DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Obstacle" message while in flight...

chadrob30

Reactions
Hey guys, I did a search before posting and can't seem to find what exactly caused my issues yesterday. I was about 150' up and only about 300' out with LOS when the controller vibrated a couple times and said OBSTACLE on the screen. I was not flying into the sun and there were obviously no actual obstacles or I would have hit them. The MP just stopped dead in it's tracks for a second or two, then it let me proceed. It did this a couple times and I decided to bring her down. I noticed on the map in the lower right corner (Litchi) that there was a large red circle that outlined the area I was flying in....any ideas?

Hey guys, I did a search before posting and can't seem to find what exactly caused my issues yesterday. I was about 150' up and only about 300' out with LOS when the controller vibrated a couple times and said OBSTACLE on the screen. I was not flying into the sun and there were obviously no actual obstacles or I would have hit them. The MP just stopped dead in it's tracks for a second or two, then it let me proceed. It did this a couple times and I decided to bring her down. I noticed on the map in the lower right corner (Litchi) that there was a large red circle that outlined the area I was flying in....any ideas?

When that happened to me, I assumed it was a bird but could not see one.

When I brought it down I saw that some honeybees were swarming it.

Reactions: chadrob30
Ok, I am hoping that is all it was, I haven't ever had any issues like this before.Thanks.

Ok, I am hoping that is all it was, I haven't ever had any issues like this before.Thanks.
I had that too for no apparent reason a few times, during the first flights I did with my MP. Switched it off and never back on again. As well as Landing Protection and VPS. Happy flying ever since.
VPS does have a function though, when I would fly indoors, which is almost never.

Reactions: chadrob30
bees have caused this once for me
View attachment 35682
Yellow Mavic? They must have thought it was a huge queen. Seriously.
Good colour for keeping visual on the bird though.
My old P1 is also in bee colours, yellow with black stripes even. I think I remember it attracted more flying insects, but haven't flown it for 2 years already.

this was before the yellow skin was applied
Sorry I was still editing :)

Must have been the sound that attracted them. But my yellow P1 was usually more splattered with bug blood then my white P2. Maybe a coincidence who knows.

Sorry I was still editing :)

Must have been the sound that attracted them. But my yellow P1 was usually more splattered with bug blood then my white P2. Maybe a coincidence who knows.
yes im sure it was the sound, they were still swarming as I landed and splattering most of them all over the MP.
this was to the delight of all my "mates" that thought it was amusing watching me cleaning up.
15 mins later and there are three of them cleaning theirs:D

When I fly through a certain path I have that but when I’m driving I loose cell signal at that certain location. Could it be a dead spot?

there were obviously no actual obstacles or I would have hit them. The MP just stopped dead in it's tracks for a second or two, then it let me proceed.
The point of obstacle avoidance is to brake the Mavic before you hit the obstacle.

That happened to me last September, when a flock of pigeons flew in front of my Mavic from left to right. They were there and gone before I actually saw them, but OA slammed on the brakes and kept me from hitting them.

21994140_10154998578778597_2711723628055627449_o.jpg

Reactions: colinfowler
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52