DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Odd Thing in Drone Practice

CorralesDan

Reactions
I flew my Mini 2 on Wednesday morning just for practice and didn't plan to post the video. However, something odd popped up. Three things to highlight in the video:

1. You'll see my Golden Retriever, Jessie, running across in front of me. I have no idea what caught her attention.

2. At about 2'31" in the video, something odd popped up quickly in the lower left hand portion of the video. It was so quick, I slowed that clip down so it could be seen and I added a frame grab below the video. I don't think it was a bird. I checked my drone when I was done and nothing is loose. At first, I thought the gimbal got loose for a second and caught the leg of the drone, but I realized the rest of that clip is steady and didn't change so I don't think that was it. So, that's my question. I'm at a loss and if anyone has any thoughts I will appreciate it.

3. The last segment is my best attempt at shooting a manual orbit. Not perfect, but better.

Concerning the odd thing, before anyone else suggests it, I know that living in New Mexico it might be an alien. :p

Oddity_1.8.1.jpg

Your retreiver probably had a 'squirrel' moment. Nice flying!!

As far as the 'object,' were you low enough it could have been someone's satellite dish? Pretty sure it wasn't a bird or a bug.

Your retreiver probably had a 'squirrel' moment. Nice flying!!

As far as the 'object,' were you low enough it could have been someone's satellite dish? Pretty sure it wasn't a bird or a bug.
Probably right about the 'squirrel' moment. It doesn't take much to distract her.

Actually, I was flying over the edge of our street and there's nothing high there at all, so the satellite dish isn't a solution. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: Prop Wash
Very nice orbit. Were you in Cine mode? I have yet to master that move. And I have no idea on the anomaly.

Very nice orbit. Were you in Cine mode? I have yet to master that move. And I have no idea on the anomaly.
Thanks for the kind words. It might be easier in Cine, but I fly in Normal all the time. I'm far from mastering it. That's the first decent orbit I've managed. Like most things, one step forward, and probably two back, but practice, practice, practice.

It was so quick, I slowed that clip down so it could be seen and I added a frame grab below the video. I don't think it was a bird. I checked my drone when I was done and nothing is loose. At first, I thought the gimbal got loose for a second and caught the leg of the drone, but I realized the rest of that clip is steady and didn't change so I don't think that was it.
Whatever it is, it was very close to your camera, as it's very out-of-focus.
It was possibly within a foot or a few inches.
At slow speed you can see a shadow comes over it and the object stays with the camera, rather than drifting past.
The obvious thing to look for is a light-coloured part of the drone that the camera could see with the camera looking past the usual limits.catch

Whatever it is, it was very close to your camera, as it's very out-of-focus.
It was possibly within a foot or a few inches.
At slow speed you can see a shadow comes over it and the object stays with the camera, rather than drifting past.
The obvious thing to look for is a light-coloured part of the drone that the camera could see with the camera looking past the usual limits.catch
Meta, thanks. The more I've thought about it, I tend to agree with you. What I have to remember is that even though the video is stable the drone is moving about and I believe that's the most likely thing. It's never happened before and didn't happen again after that. Regards, Dan

As far as Jessie going running...did you check around for any missing mail men?;)...Nice video, relaxing piano in the background ...just a mystery at 2:35 ...can you get back to that approximate site and see what is around?

Reactions: TheSnowyPilot
As far as Jessie going running...did you check around for any missing mail men?;)...Nice video, relaxing piano in the background ...just a mystery at 2:35 ...can you get back to that approximate site and see what is around?
This happened in the street before our house. As someone suggested I think the camera picked up a part of the drone. I forget that even though the video is stable, the drone is constantly moving. That's the only thing that makes sense. As far as Jessie and mail men, we don't have any. We're in the new world of community mailboxes so she never sees one. Sometimes I think she just loves to run.

Reactions: MARK (LI)
just a mystery at 2:35 ...can you get back to that approximate site and see what is around?
It's not going to be on the ground because it was within a foot of the lens.

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

I'm going with the alien theory.

I'm going with the alien theory.
It is also possible that you flew over a street light without noticing it when you were flying and filming, no idea what your street lights look like but looking at the shape of the object that would be my guess my first thought was someone flying one of those egg shaped quads but there's no props in the shot.

CorralesDan, do you skids for your landing gear? Looks like the tip of the ones I use

Probably right about the 'squirrel' moment. It doesn't take much to distract her.

Actually, I was flying over the edge of our street and there's nothing high there at all, so the satellite dish isn't a solution. Thanks for the suggestion.
Hi, Could it be a small styrofoam packing piece that came loose?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+