DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Oh them high winds!

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I'm going to try to sneak in a comment about my Avata although I know there's a separate forum....and mention that I tossed my Avata up in a gorge where the winds got funneled and it was immediately blown back and I had to bring it down. I tested it again, bringing it up and was shocked that the results were the same. I tend to think my my Avata like my FPV but the only similarity is they both use goggles. My FPV and Mavic 3 would have handled that wind (whatever it actually was) with no problem but no surprisingly the Avata did not. I need to start taking my Mini 3 pro along on some of these jaunts to play with wind resistance. Too bad there isn't a web site where people can post...oh...never mind.

Reactions: @Rip and a2tomm
Reactions: @Rip
I came quite close to the same situation yesterday in the Columbia River Gorge with my Mavic 3. Wind gusts were around 30mph at ground level and likely well above that above the treetops. This is part of my AirData log from that flight:

Screenshot 2023-03-16 at 5.38.06 PM.png

I was able to safely land manually but it was unnerving to watch my drone going sideways in the wind 3 feet off the ground. My flight lasted just long enough to grab a few still images of a waterfall and then get it back down out of the sky.

I now know my upper limits for flying in the wind.

Last edited:
Reactions: @Rip
I came quite close to the same situation yesterday in the Columbia River Gorge with my Mavic 3. Wind gusts were around 30mph at ground level and likely well above that above the treetops. This is part of my AirData log from that flight:

View attachment 161691

I was able to safely land manually but it was unnerving to watch my drone going sideways on the wind 3 feet off the ground. My flight lasted just long enough to grab a few still images of a waterfall and then get it back down out of the sky.

I now know my upper limits for flying in the wind.
What was the highest wind speed that AirData was reporting for your flight?

Chris

What was the highest wind speed that AirData was reporting for your flight?

Chris
Where would AirData show me the wind speed? I looked around for that but had to settle for a Weather Underground station about a mile from where I was trying to fly.

Edit - I found the InFlight Wind info but it says "Not enough valid records were found."

You should just be able to click on your particular flight in the flight Overview>Weather>InFlight Wind and you should see the Max Gust Speed

Here’s what it looks like for me

6484F189-074F-4C43-9382-F7E0475BA41B.jpeg

I have a Gold account. Just realized that you need at least an HD 360 plan so that is likely the problem.

Chris

You should just be able to click on your particular flight in the flight Overview>Weather>InFlight Wind and you should see the Max Gust Speed

Here’s what it looks like for me

I have a Gold account. Just realized that you need at least an HD 360 plan so that is likely the problem.

Chris
Actually I have a Gold account but in this case I yanked the drone down almost immediately when it became clear that I would likely lose control of it if I didn't. Here is the screen from my AirData display:
Screenshot 2023-03-17 at 2.17.12 PM.png

My Mavic 3 was only airborne for 1 minute 19 seconds as shown in the log in post #3. Total horizontal distance for the flight was 22ft (@65ft. AGL) and that was entirely due to the wind.