DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Oh Woe is me. Whats going on with my Mini one ?

David Smith

Reactions
Hi all. Some of you may have read my previous topic. Where I mentioned that when I push the left stick fully forward to go straight up. My mini goes up. But also flys forward at around 45 degs. I tried all the things that I was told to try in your replies. But does not go forward if I take off gently. I am suffering other woes with the drone. When I bought the drone in 2019. I have open fields to the horizon of about 5 miles. out the front of my home. And I remember being so amazed at the range of this tiny drone. I flew up to 200 ft. Then I flew away nearly a mile. (Google earth measurement). Then I got a weak signal warning. So. I pressed RTH. It was back in no time. And landed 2ft from where it took off. That was so impressive. It made me look like a pro. Anyway. let's come bang up to date. Today for instance. Here is what I get now. I go straight up. And at around 90 ft up. I get a 'Weak signal adjust" warning. So I adjust. the warning goes away. I fly away. I get to less than 100 meters away. and I get a lost signal from the drone. I can't regain connection. So the drone RTH automatically. (I know how to position the antennas for best reception). And I try to keep the drone in LOS. I feel I need to send it back to DJI for a full service/reboot/ or whatever it takes. I've heard some scare stories of people waiting two months for their drone to be returned. only then to discover that their drone is basically no better than when it went away. Anybody else had that? Your help would be very much appreciated please guys.
Thanks, Dave

When you say you got lost signal at 100mm was that a message or did you lose video and telemetry?
Are you certain the drone RTH'd automatically, without you pressing any buttons on the controller or the phone's screen?
What version of the app are you using and what phone?

Reactions: old man mavic
@David Smith hi fellow flyer are you all up to date with your APP and Firmware ,and have you done a IMU and compass calibration recently ,try those fixes first if you are on IOS there is a new APP update that just came out a few days ago

Reactions: shaneb50
Sorry but I am going to differ with OMM, if you are on an iphone and an old version of the app DO NOT update the app.
From what I have read you can not roll iphone apps back. Let other's test it and see what flaws there are BEFORE you yourself up date.
Hence my asking what app and phone. Android's a doddle, just wipe the new app and use an APK, Ios "Iy yi yi"

No offence meant OMM.

Reactions: old man mavic
I have had 1.2.0 and 1.2.5 on an Android phone, 1.2.0 lasted two flights, both of which were riddled with GPS and or connection warnings, 1.2.5 seemed solid but the logs were encrypted, I like logs and I LOVE the attitude thing but logs win so 1.2.5 came off.
Both 1.2.0 and 1.2.5 were removed and either 1.6 or 1.9 put on via an APK

I have had 1.2.0 and 1.2.5 on an Android phone, 1.2.0 lasted two flights, both of which were riddled with GPS and or connection warnings, 1.2.5 seemed solid but the logs were encrypted, I like logs and I LOVE the attitude thing but logs win so 1.2.5 came off.
Both 1.2.0 and 1.2.5 were removed and either 1.6 or 1.9 put on via an APK
Thanks, PF. All this tech speak is well over my head. Firstly what is an APK ? Do I simply delete the DJI fly app off my android phone? Then reinstall the app. Will it come back with the latest version of the app. Further back in your questions to me. When I lost connection at 200 meters away. It came back on its own. I was not able to use RTH. As I had no connection. Sorry to sound so naive with all this tech stuff. Thanks guys Dave. In the UK.

With Android you can download an APK extractor that can save any app as an APK ( Android Package Kit ) you can then save the APK and load it at any time this is a good way of saving older versions of apps or apps that are simply not available to download anymore.

With regards to loss of connection, did you lose video and telemetry feed? Yes/no.

Did the drone itself initiate an RTH without you touching the RTH buttons on either the phone or the controller? Yes/no

I have the impression that v1.2..... gives false messages concerning weak GPS and or connections and that actual complete disconnections are not common but I could well be mistaken in the latter. I didn't leave it on my phone long enough to find out. I had control through out the few flights I did make and didn't fly further than perhaps 70 to 90m at under 100ft in height.

APK's are, I think, old versions of the software, how they originate I do not know.
I got mine from DJI Fly APKs - APKMirror and I assume I got the address from either here or the DJI forum.

My removal process for 1.2...... is
1) Using a windows PC,copy the FlightRecord folder from
computer/phone-name/Phone/DJI/dji.go.v5
to my computer.

2) On the phone simply unistall the app.

3) Via the computer delete the folder dji.go.v5. I am not sure what 'knowledge' is stored in the dji.go.v5 folder but the file structure survives the unistall of the app and just incase it contains settings I do not want e.g. encrypt the logs etc. I remove the whole lot. This is why I backup the flight records folder in step 1).

4) down load, via the computer, the chosen APK and copy it to the download folder in the phone.

5) in the phone find the APK and open/run/click-on-it, I have to authorise "install from unknown place" or some such thing but MAKE SURE you leave that feature set to 1 time only.
"5)" installs the app and you then open it etc. and let it down load some additional information but the additional infomation IS NOT an update. Then log in to the app as per normal for a fresh install. The installed app is the version you chose though in the flight logs they sometimes show as v0.0.0 but in the app it shows as v1.x.y as appropriate.

6) Fly a flight and then copy the backed up flight logs to the appropriate folders on the phone, DO NOT copy the backed up folders, COPY ONLY their contents and those contents MUST go into the correct folders

I think you should carry out a complete update and calibration of your drone: IMU, compass and the RC. But first you should upgrade your Mini via a PC (DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic), then update it againt with every other battery in your kit (only the battery will be updated).

Beyond this keep in mind frequency space varies greatly over time (and space of course) and you should use manual frequency as AUTO only selects the one that it senses is better at startup. Up in the sky and far away the condition might differ greatly than on the ground. 2.4 GHz yields better range when used in vast unpopulated places, for anything remotely close to houses 5 GHz usually brings better range as it is beyond the reach of regular home/office routers. Sometimes the channel that brings you further can have more activity (red bar length) than others at homepoint... but as you're the strongest source past the interfering source you tend to remain smoothly connected unlike some other CH where when drone is moved away from you and into the interfering source you lose control quickly despite CH being green at homepoint.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada