DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Old Nexus 7

keat63

Reactions
I have an old Nexus 7 (2012), even though it's quite old, it still works fine.
So taday I installed a custom rom with Android 7, so I could run the GJI Go4 app.
The app installed OK, the Nexus seems to run it OK, I can open settings with the mavic hooked up etc.
However, the video feedback doesn't work as expected.

The image is stable until I move the mavic, where it then lags so badly, I'm talking as much as maybe 2 seconds.
Then it's picelleated, broken up and unable to use.

I'm guessing the old Nexus just isn't up to the job, but before I give up on it, I wondered if anyone had any ideas.

I'm guessing the old Nexus just isn't up to the job, but before I give up on it, I wondered if anyone had any ideas.
The Nexus 7 was good back in 2015 when DJI Go was a lightweight app.
But times change and DJI apps get more demanding.
You need more RAM and a faster processor these days.

I use an old Samsung J3 Luna Pro that I've dedicated to the cause. As far as specs go, it's just shy of your Nexus 7 (rocking a whopping 1.5Gb RAM and a blazing 1.4Ghz quad core processor!). I uninstalled/disabled all the other apps (save for a few drone-related tools) to prevent any background processes running, and leave it in airplane mode most of the time. It's worked like a charm for me so far! My guess is if you clear it off enough and make sure nothing else is running in the background when you're using Go4, your Nexus 7 should work just fine.

Reactions: charliesRig
The 2012 Nexus 7 was killed off by Google with Andriod 5.
The software update rendered them useless, and there's no official software version after this.
The Go4 app requires at least Android 5 as part of it's pre-requisites.

So I flashed an unofficial Android V7 to it.
That's all it has, Android 7, a cut down verion of Google Apps (for the play store), and DJI GO4.
Nothing else.

The app runs, but the video feedback can't keep up.

I tried a different custom rom yesterday, still on 7.1.
Still the same, the app runs OK, but the video feed can't keep up.
I toyed with loads of settings both in DJIGO4 and Android developer options, No Joy.

Alas, the old Nexus is destined for the bin.

I've never tried my old N7 1st gen.

However, I still use the Nexus 7 2013 with DJI Go app. I have newer iPhone plus and larger Samsung phones I could use but its hard to retire the old tablet when it works so good and look amazing. The brightness awesome. To overcome any shortcomings it may normally struggle with today's fatter fly apps I rooted mine (was easy) and over clocked the CPU and GPU using ElementalX (even easier). I thought I'd post this for anyone who still has their old N7 2013 and maybe shelved it because app was getting harder to run or would otherwise still use it. I have no problems at all with lag. I use it with P3 advanced and with Parrot. Once in a while I will use an iPhone or the Samsung if I want to carry less devices.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada