DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 1 Old Rocky Mountains Railway

RkyMtnHigh

Reactions
This is the old Rollins Pass/Needle Eye Railway route that was used back in the mid 1800's in Colorado to cross the Continental Divide, reaching altitudes of just shy of 12,000 feet. During the winter months the winds regularly hit hurricane strength and the snow easily can reach 20+ feet. The route was closed once the Moffat Tunnel, which is 6.2 miles long and opened in 1928, eliminated the need for the trains to make this treacherous trek over the mountains. What you see now is the remnants of the rail bed, which is a popular trekking and camping area.

This is the old Rollins Pass/Needle Eye Railway route that was used back in the mid 1800's in Colorado to cross the Continental Divide, reaching altitudes of just shy of 12,000 feet. During the winter months the winds regularly hit hurricane strength and the snow easily can reach 20+ feet. The route was closed once the Moffat Tunnel, which is 6.2 miles long and opened in 1928, eliminated the need for the trains to make this treacherous trek over the mountains. What you see now is the remnants of the rail bed, which is a popular trekking and camping area.
It makes me miss Colorado. We used to live in Steamboat Springs,

Reactions: RkyMtnHigh
It makes me miss Colorado. We used to live in Steamboat Springs,
That's a beautiful area. We've been all of this country and have lived in several places from the east to the west coast and I can't think of a better place than Colorado to call home.

That's a beautiful area. We've been all of this country and have lived in several places from the east to the west coast and I can't think of a better place than Colorado to call home.
I can't argue with that. After retirement we want to make our way back.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChickenOverload