DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

On The Border

Mike Drop

Reactions
In the New Mexico high desert near Columbus, I'm fortunate that there isn't any controlled airspace within 50 miles! My MA2 should be here in the first week of December.

Look forward to seeing some of your images, I've been told that the high desert country is quite striking.
Regards

Reactions: Mike Drop
Look forward to seeing some of your images, I've been told that the high desert country is quite striking.
Regards
Hi Gagey, I think it depends on your taste. Its pretty stark territory with few exceptions. I'll start posting images as soon as I fly some familiarization flights with the new MA2.

I spent a night in Columbus at Hacienda de Villa some years ago and photographed the school children crossing the border the next morning. I didn't have a drone then, but I'm wondering if you fly near the border much, and whether there is ever difficulty with the Border Patrol if you do?

Reactions: Mike Drop
I spent a night in Columbus at Hacienda de Villa some years ago and photographed the school children crossing the border the next morning. I didn't have a drone then, but I'm wondering if you fly near the border much, and whether there is ever difficulty with the Border Patrol if you do?

I haven't yet flown near the border, but that may change. We've had a crime wave in the neighborhood. My next door neighbor's truck was stolen and my P3 4K was taken from my house. The gas station in Columbus was broken into along with two homes.

In the New Mexico high desert near Columbus, I'm fortunate that there isn't any controlled airspace within 50 miles! My MA2 should be here in the first week of December.
Welcome from the mountains of Western NC.

Not sure exactly what you mean "glad about no controlled airspace." So many areas not even remotely close and free flying within the rules for hundreds of miles. Would check to make sure NM State Laws on drone flying, as way too many state and some locals have created no fly zones (mostly parks) that won't show up on apps like Aloft / B4UFLY. Same goes for ALL NPS's - without special permission which is rarely if ever given to a rec flyer.

Droning is fun, so go have a lot of it. Mountainous / desert terrain affords some great pic / video ops as well.

Welcome from the mountains of Western NC.

Not sure exactly what you mean "glad about no controlled airspace." So many areas not even remotely close and free flying within the rules for hundreds of miles. Would check to make sure NM State Laws on drone flying, as way too many state and some locals have created no fly zones (mostly parks) that won't show up on apps like Aloft / B4UFLY. Same goes for ALL NPS's - without special permission which is rarely if ever given to a rec flyer.

Droning is fun, so go have a lot of it. Mountainous / desert terrain affords some great pic / video ops as well.
If I am under class 'G' airspace don't have to beg the FSDO permission to fly.
I use air charts. I'm part 61 pilot and get current charts on my tablet so I know where the TFR's are and the perimeters of controlled airspace. I check for NOTAMS before I fly. There is a wildlife refuge 8 nautical miles away and a state park 6 nautical miles from me.

Hi from your neighbor up North in Corrales. The folks here are very friendly and most know a lot and are willing to share.
Thanks Dan.

Regards

This is from Southern Arizona at 5,000 feet above sea level about two miles from the border ... taken last winter when it was brown and dry.

This is the same area after the monsoons arrived in July.

This is from Southern Arizona at 5,000 feet above sea level about two miles from the border ... taken last winter when it was brown and dry.

This is the same area after the monsoons arrived in July.

Really impressive. The elevation at the end of my runway is 4170 MSL so a bit below where you are.
Looks like this out here.

Attachments

• 20170706_061427.jpg
    20170706_061427.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
Please share your thoughts about the M2.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest