DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Opinion needed Mini 3 sharpness

Fastaschit

Reactions
I posted this question on the DJI forum but probably should have came here instead and ask once. I read but rarely post.

This may be a question no one can answer but an opinion would be helpful. I am about to buy a mini 2 or 3 but want to make a good choice. Does anyone think DJI will eventually give in and allow sharpness/denoise on the standard mini 3?

Reason I ask, dont like the oversharpened footage and don't want to pay the price for the pro version. If I have to go with a Mini that locks this function I'd rather choose one that sharpens the least which, to me, would be the Mini 2. For me the footage means more than any new option or bells & whistles available.

Even though mini 3 may be better low light & shadows, I think the processing is more aggressive than mini 2. I think mini 2 4k has a better realism in comparison. I've never enjoyed my Mini 1 footage because 2.7 is too sharp. I have a Phantom 3 Adv that gives the freedom of adjustment but have had a low appeal experience with mini 1's oversharpened footage.

I'm not expected too much from a mini just trying to settle which is better option or gamble with what they will unlock for us

Curious to others thoughts before I buy one.

I posted this question on the DJI forum but probably should have came here instead and ask once. I read but rarely post.

This may be a question no one can answer but an opinion would be helpful. I am about to buy a mini 2 or 3 but want to make a good choice. Does anyone think DJI will eventually give in and allow sharpness/denoise on the standard mini 3?

Reason I ask, dont like the oversharpened footage and don't want to pay the price for the pro version. If I have to go with a Mini that locks this function I'd rather choose one that sharpens the least which, to me, would be the Mini 2. For me the footage means more than any new option or bells & whistles available.

Even though mini 3 may be better low light & shadows, I think the processing is more aggressive than mini 2. I think mini 2 4k has a better realism in comparison. I've never enjoyed my Mini 1 footage because 2.7 is too sharp. I have a Phantom 3 Adv that gives the freedom of adjustment but have had a low appeal experience with mini 1's oversharpened footage.

I'm not expected too much from a mini just trying to settle which is better option or gamble with what they will unlock for us

I think that post processing has become ubiquitous with cell phones and now with the smaller sensors in our drones. I've noticed, especially with low light videos, that the output looks almost plastic. It's possible that shooting in RAW would get you the output before the drone applied its heavy hand. Since I don't own a Mini 3 Pro I can't test this. Perhaps others will chime in here and provide some perspective.

Reactions: Felix le Chat

You could wait a little longer for the Mini 4 version to be released before deciding...

I agree.

To clarify I'm talking about the video footage. If there's a chance mini 3 will eventually allow adjustment of sharpness & denoise like the Pro, I want to buy that one. Unfortunately no one probably knows the answer. I have a feeling DJI will reserve those features for the Pro only.

Before pulling my wallet out on mini 3 I'm considering buying the older mini 2. From what I've seen and read the mini 2 is not as bad sharpening wise. If the mini 2 is the same or better in this aspect I'm going that route and save a few $. I've never purchased refurbished but have heard good things about them. A Mini 2 FM combo for under 400 is a deal

I agree.

To clarify I'm talking about the video footage. If there's a chance mini 3 will eventually allow adjustment of sharpness & denoise like the Pro, I want to buy that one. Unfortunately no one probably knows the answer. I have a feeling DJI will reserve those features for the Pro only.

Before pulling my wallet out on mini 3 I'm considering buying the older mini 2. From what I've seen and read the mini 2 is not as bad sharpening wise. If the mini 2 is the same or better in this aspect I'm going that route and save a few $. I've never purchased refurbished but have heard good things about them. A Mini 2 FM combo for under 400 is a deal
The Mini 3 pro is better than the Mini 2 and to be honest, sharpness is not a problem with either of my Mini 2 or Mini 3.

I own both, and have flown the Mini 4. I can't talk about the Mini 4, but I will tell you that if you can swing the Mini 3 Pro or Mini 4 Pro (after Monday), you'll be happier.

Also, something to think about is Remote ID. The Mini 2 will not have it. If you only plan on flying recreationally, and don't add anything to the Mini 2, you'll be fine since it would stay under 250g. But if you add a strobe for night flight (now required for most recreational flights), or landing gear and such, you will be over 250g, and you will need to register it.

And since RID is tied to registration, you'll need to get an RID Module to put on it as well.

Just something to think about.

Reactions: dart106
I think that post processing has become ubiquitous with cell phones and now with the smaller sensors in our drones. I've noticed, especially with low light videos, that the output looks almost plastic. It's possible that shooting in RAW would get you the output before the drone applied its heavy hand. Since I don't own a Mini 3 Pro I can't test this. Perhaps others will chime in here and provide some perspective.
Shoot JPG+RAW. Keep JPG's for reference and run the DNG's through a RAW editor.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne