DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Original Mavic air

Well, I bought my red Mavic Air a few days after it was available. It has been on many adventures. It’s like any small sensor, when light is great, the video is great. But no low light monster. It has flown in high wind in Costa Rica with no problems. It's flown in tight jungles and over rivers where you would never find a drone if it went down. But it never did. I love it.

But you would have to get a perfect one with remote, several batteries and charger, and more, and get it for $200 range.
It is great for a learner drone, or a sacrifice drone. You’re not too upset if you lose it. Flys in small areas, so can get some cool shots.
Also, is the only Mavic on the approved list for photogrammetry using Pix4D! But this will change soon, I’m guessing the 2S and maybe 3 eventually.
Same size sensor as the Mini and Mini2.

But some downsides considering the Mini and other options. You can get a refurb mini with stuff for $220. But no 4K

- Has been discontinued by DJI, so batteries may become a problem soon. Third party stuff will start to dwindle.

- Avoidance technology is limited, front, back and down only, probably older technology.

- Wireless transmission that is easily interfered with. I have lost transmission lots of times, but never for very long. And have flown way beyond its advertised range several times, so unpredictable. Only had 1 forced landing in years, though

- Over 250 grams (450) advantage or disadvantage, depends on you.

- Video can pixelate due to compression in certain situations. Not sure if it's a lower rate.

Oh, and my Mavic Air is my cats favorite drone, maybe because it's smaller than the others. So there's that...

Considering your username, maybe you already have a mini, so not much advantage, if any. 4K and maybe better wind control? But if you found a cheap one? You can never have too many Mavics. Still love to fly it.

Reactions: 4006448 and Gagey52
I loved the original Air. It was a great drone. But, at this point I’d get a Mini2 or wait for the Mini3. Any drone that uses Wi-Fi as transmission is very limited, especially in an urban environment.

Reactions: Gagey52
I got my air the first month they came out love it s my only drone and I seee no need to change it

Reactions: 4006448
I purchased mine second hand and to date have had no issues with it. Not flying it as much as I would like at the moment - otherwise, I've found it a great drone to learn to fly and take photos/videos. The flymore combo is a must even if it's just for the batteries.

It all depends on what you plan to do with it. I have a bunch of drones. Some with longer range, some with better cameras. Two weeks ago I was on a trip to the Caribbean with my family what drone did I take? My DJI Spark. It's still reliable, it's small, it's discreet, it takes up little room in my backpack, no legs that need to unfold, and shoots halfway decent in auto mode for making a vacation video and pics for my family.

What I'm trying to say is there is nothing wrong with old tech if it suits your needs. The Mavic Air still has a bunch of good features, and a compact size. It would be a winner for me.

Reactions: 4006448
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60