DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

People complaints

All these sound like first world country problems.
Sometimes the best solutions is to live in a small city where no one is bothering you from flying anywhere you want, no rules or administrations or boards or police.
Are you suggesting drone flyers should just up and move to some desolate area regardless of family or employment?! Much easier said than done, my friend lol
? ? ?

If that’s what it takes to fly legally then, Yes.
I just think it would be much more beneficial to hop in your car and drive to a better take off area other than your balcony or front/back porch...rather than moving altogether lol
Drones have motivated my interest in landmarks, landscapes, and architecture in my state, and road trips are just pretty darn fun if you do it right! lol

It's not take off point. It's AGL. I'm sure he flies outward too. If he flies out 401 feet from the building and he is beyond 400 ft AGL at that point it's a violation.
As stated earlier, that only is true if flying 107. If flying recreationally, just 1 foot off the balcony at the 31st floor (over 400ft from builds ground) is a violation.

In my rural area I just go very high, over 130m up more or less, and it's hard to hear or see the drone then. No complaints from neighbours .... yet
I presume Australia does not have a 400ft agl rule then!

I had a great one yesterday put my drone up at home and flying around the field all going well, testing some new hardware.
Next thing I know a guy is shouting at me telling me my drone is scaring his horse and demanding I land it immediately.

I have previously owned horses and always do all I can to avoid any issues. The guy very rudely told me in no uncertain terms to stop flying other wise he would stop it him self. I had one big problem with this the guy and his wife where on my land using my drive as a short cut to the beach and suggested he improved his attitude or just plane and simply stopped trespassing on my land and left the way they came.

To stop any arguments I landed and let the obnoxious idiots through with him cussing and cursing me. I closed the gates and pad locked them and went about my business.

Three hours later I hear a banging on my door and Mr horsey is demanding I unlock my gate so he can get back to his house box and car and threatening to call the police if I didn’t. I told him to call the police as there was no way I was letting him on my private property, he has no legal right of way or no permission from me to use what is in fact my private garden to access the beach.

Two hours later the police arrived and the guy was going mental demanding they made me unlock my gate to allow him access to his horse box. After a long discussion with the police and explaining the situation the police told him to jog on and if he continued they would arrest him for breach of the peace.

All I wanted was a peaceful flight around my field and tbh if the guys attitude had been better I would have landed and let him continue on his way.

People have a right to privacy in their own home, if you record even by accident a person in their home you could be breaching privacy laws (UK at least). I'd be pissed if you were flying a drone outside my apartment window too.

I had a great one yesterday put my drone up at home and flying around the field all going well, testing some new hardware.
Next thing I know a guy is shouting at me telling me my drone is scaring his horse and demanding I land it immediately.

I have previously owned horses and always do all I can to avoid any issues. The guy very rudely told me in no uncertain terms to stop flying other wise he would stop it him self. I had one big problem with this the guy and his wife where on my land using my drive as a short cut to the beach and suggested he improved his attitude or just plane and simply stopped trespassing on my land and left the way they came.

To stop any arguments I landed and let the obnoxious idiots through with him cussing and cursing me. I closed the gates and pad locked them and went about my business.

Three hours later I hear a banging on my door and Mr horsey is demanding I unlock my gate so he can get back to his house box and car and threatening to call the police if I didn’t. I told him to call the police as there was no way I was letting him on my private property, he has no legal right of way or no permission from me to use what is in fact my private garden to access the beach.

Two hours later the police arrived and the guy was going mental demanding they made me unlock my gate to allow him access to his horse box. After a long discussion with the police and explaining the situation the police told him to jog on and if he continued they would arrest him for breach of the peace.

All I wanted was a peaceful flight around my field and tbh if the guys attitude had been better I would have landed and let him continue on his way.
So many people out there thinking they're so dang important over everyone else. A simple attitude adjustment would make the world and our hobby/lifestyle so much better. He didn't leave you any choice in the matter, and for him to Demand access to Your property is just sooo dang arrogant. Good on you, because if it were me, I'd have stood on the other side of the gate staring at him while eating a delicious sandwich, chewing with my mouth open of course.
? ??

Okay assuming you are complaint with all FAA rules. And you own the condo unit you are in. The condo board cannot dictate your flying of your drone from your balcony. From take off to landing you are in what is considered navicable airspace. I can send you the link to the FAA document if needed. My email is [email protected] what you need to know is that no local governing body can make any rules reguarding air space. Certainly not a board of a condo.

Its always good to be a good drone ambassador, especiall since you fly in your neighbourhood. I live in a 55 and over community. Very cranky old people, but I try to have empathy for them. So, been telling them that I fly, in our neighbourhood, which has neighborhood watch signs all over our community. My drone is part of watching the community, and I do not fly over the houses, go up to 350, use may Zoom on my camera to check out any unwanted visitors. We have a garage and car wash next to the community, so I talked with owner if he was OK with me flying over his place of business after he closes. He has been broken into 3 times, no problem, even the police are backing me to try to avert any more breaking in to his business.And, also get my car washed for $5.00 all year for being a good neighbor. So, look for opportunities
to show people you are a good neighbor, You, don't want to get people ticked off at you. Keep flying with the rotors in the up position.

Okay assuming you are complaint with all FAA rules. And you own the condo unit you are in. The condo board cannot dictate your flying of your drone from your balcony. .....

If he is part of a HOA they can dictate what you do from the area. They can' regulate FLIGHT itself but they can enact Land Use Rules which are indeed enforceable.

.... From take off to landing you are in what is considered navicable airspace. ...

But what about controlling YOUR actions while standing/sitting on property that has Land Use Restrictions? They can't control the FLIGHT but they can dictate what you can and can't do from the property.

OK, I’m flying from the balcony of a top floor penthouse condo with a clear unobstructed view East, North and South for many miles to the horizon. I fly over towns, villages, rivers and beautiful scenery.

The problem is when returning to the balcony, even from a height, some residents see the quad flying outside and are very concerned that I’m looking into their apts (though I’m not). Several have complained to the condo Board who have asked me to appear. One just saw me carrying the quad and complained that I even have it.

I know w/1 million of these quads now in private use some new FAA regs will surely come out to limit our use further.

However, until then, how should I handle these complaints most effectively?
I would never fly from such a place as you describe. I mean you’re just asking for trouble. I wouldn’t want a drone flying out side my condo window. What if you lost control? Bad idea.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98