DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pgytech ND Filters - Corners Blacked

LeslieS

Reactions
Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone noticed this before. So I bought Pgytech filters (16/64/128/256) and noticed that I have a problem with blur mostly on lower left corner, but as I went further to investigate, I've also noticed, that the un-shilded glass opening has inner and outer circle, which is visible to the eye if you look close trough it, and move it left-right a little. So when I'm using this filters I have a problem focusing left part of the picture, being particularly terrible when light is coming from the rear left. I think it's confusing the sensor, or maybe filter itself causes blurriness in certain angles... The thing that I thing confirms this circle reaching into the sensor area is blackened corners I've noticed home in the editor after shooting a timelapse (attached picture). Do you think this should justify return of this item? Lost a month of recordings, coming home into disappointments...

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2023-10-09-22h49m00s765.png
    vlcsnap-2023-10-09-22h49m00s765.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 19
How does this compare to a picture with no filter? Do you really need an extra piece of glass on the camera lens?

I haven't noticed any focusing problems recording in conditions that didn't require ND filters. I mostly record videos, so I actually need them almost always, as I don't want crisp like recordings, even in this daytime time-lapse case I was aiming for more smoothness, so yes, ND is a must for me. I'm more into if this darkened corners are what's causing blurring or confusing the focus...

That seems to mean a different brand of ND filter is the way to go.

Tried K&F CONCEPTS filters on a whim, now I won't use anything else. Transmission of light and clarity are really good given that they work out cheaper (at the moment) than any of the established brands.

If the blurred corner also appears in shots without the filter, a common cause for one side or corner to be out of focus is that the optical axis of the lens is not quite perpendicular to the sensor -- a manufacturing defect. I believe I've read on this board of at least one Mini 3 that DJI replaced for that.

In the end the drone was indeed replaced under warranty, due to described blurriness on the left side of the lens (it had a real problem especially on infinity focus setting), but the vignette effect on all four corners was caused by filters. I bought a new set of Neewer variables and have no such problems anymore. Now as far as clarity I'm still not fully satisfied, so I might try those K&F's mentioned few posts before. Thank you all for the help and valuable info.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne