DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phone Shutoff :(

markwalters

Reactions
Today I was flying over the ocean to get some video/photos of an iceberg. While about 1.5 kms away the video seemed to lag a little on my phone, and I was super nervous. Moments later my phone blacked out - at 70% charged - due to the cold temperature (I guess??).

I was happy when clicking the RTH on the controller - the Mavic 3 came home and landed where it took off from :)

Any thoughts on using a phone with the remote that comes with the M3 vs. purchasing the Pro controller with the screen built in? Will this screen ever shut off for temperature like an iPhone will?

It was a large ice berg - so the risk vs. reward was there - but I thought the drone was gone for good :(

Attachments

• DJI_0043.JPG
    8.3 MB · Views: 58
What was the air temperature where you were stood?
If it is considered to have been an 'ambient air temperature being too cold' problem would keeping the phone in a case add some thermal insulation, reduce heat loss and keep the phone within its suitable temperature range?

Last edited:
I can't comment on the iPhone, but I'd bet my life that the RC Pro would have provided a far better flight. Great photo!

Today I was flying over the ocean to get some video/photos of an iceberg. While about 1.5 kms away the video seemed to lag a little on my phone, and I was super nervous. Moments later my phone blacked out - at 70% charged - due to the cold temperature (I guess??).

I was happy when clicking the RTH on the controller - the Mavic 3 came home and landed where it took off from :)

Any thoughts on using a phone with the remote that comes with the M3 vs. purchasing the Pro controller with the screen built in? Will this screen ever shut off for temperature like an iPhone will?

It was a large ice berg - so the risk vs. reward was there - but I thought the drone was gone for good :(
The RC Pro is rated down to -10ºC so it should perform better than your phone. I am also considering getting the RC Pro for my M3 too. With that being said, I have flown for years with my iPhones in sub-zero temps all the way down to -25ºC. You either have to have a system to keep your phone warm (hand warmers) or keep your drone within VLOS so if it does shut down you can bring it home manually. The problem with being out so far and loosing your display is that if there is some reason RTH doesn't work like loss of GPS (unlikely), you stand a good chance of loosing your drone because you would be flying blind.

Chris

What was the air temperature where you were stood?
If it is considered to have been an 'ambient air temperature being too cold' problem would keeping the phone in a case add some thermal insulation, reduce heat loss and keep the phone within its suitable temperature range?
I think the temperature was between 3-6 degrees Celsius

Good on ya bud, for retrieving yer drone.
Nice to know the RTH actually DOES work, eh?
I got into a bit of a 'flap' once and mistakenly turned off my remote when my Mini 1 was over a corn field with the combine bearing down the rows.....I became super anxious in the span of 3 seconds...could not reconnect then...like a 'guardian angel' the RTH function kicked in automatically and brought 'er to me...or close enough that I was able to grasp it above 5-6 ft off the ground, before it plunged into corn stalks a few feet from its actual 'Home Point'.
I think DJI makes some pretty good stuff!

One other point, do not repeatedly press the RTH button, doing so may cancel an on going RTH and leave you not knowing what the drone should be doing. If that happens and assuming the failsafe action is set to RTH, switch the controller off.

One other point, do not repeatedly press the RTH button, doing so may cancel an on going RTH and leave you not knowing what the drone should be doing. If that happens and assuming the failsafe action is set to RTH, switch the controller off.
Been there. A few months ago in Myrtle Beach, I was flying at night filming a fire (safe distance so as not to interfere) when I kept getting a dropped signal warning. So I hit the RTH, but it was not updating so I kept hitting it. Eventually, it did RTH, but when I look at the footage saw that it kept stopping and starting every time I hit the button. LOL.

I have found the controller to be far more reliable and fast to get in the air on my Mavic 2 Duo Enterprise

I was flying today to drain my batteries for an american airlines flight. Just sitting on the truck be and my phone shut off, after using 2 batteries. My return to home worked. The outside temperature was only 94 F. It looks like my mini 2 won't be flying much this summer. Are there any suggestions out there to keep "snoopy" flying in the average daytime heat?
Thanks
Tommy

I was flying today to drain my batteries for an american airlines flight. Just sitting on the truck be and my phone shut off, after using 2 batteries. My return to home worked. The outside temperature was only 94 F. It looks like my mini 2 won't be flying much this summer. Are there any suggestions out there to keep "snoopy" flying in the average daytime heat?
Thanks
Tommy
Keep the sunlight off of your screen.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twistedpair