DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 Pico de Orizaba (Citlaltepetl), Mexico. Veracruz side.

Such beautiful landscape. I used to live in D.F. and love Mexico. Sadly I never made it over to Santa Cruz. But now you've got me thinking about things to see and do after COVID.

Awhile ago I had done some brief reading on the Mexican drone laws. And while it seemed pretty liberal for Mexicans it seemed a little strict for extranjeros. What do you know about the national and local drone laws, particularly as it might apply to gringos?

Reactions: basyok
It seems drone laws only came into affect here in January:

Luckily, I'm a resident.
Thanks for the update. I read much of the same stuff, but with more legalese. The part that confuses me is:

"...the norm forbids drones with foreign registries or operated by non-Mexicans in the sky. This rule doesn’t apply if there’s a prior agreement with the corresponding government authorities.

Is there a "prior agreement" between Mexico and the United States?? Or, would I, as a gringo, not be allowed to fly at all under any circumstances? So much richness in Mexico to film.

Are you Mexican? If not, how did you come to live there?

Thanks for the update. I read much of the same stuff, but with more legalese. The part that confuses me is:

"...the norm forbids drones with foreign registries or operated by non-Mexicans in the sky. This rule doesn’t apply if there’s a prior agreement with the corresponding government authorities.

Is there a "prior agreement" between Mexico and the United States?? Or, would I, as a gringo, not be allowed to fly at all under any circumstances? So much richness in Mexico to film.

Are you Mexican? If not, how did you come to live there?
I doubt that there's any agreement between US and Mexican authorities on drones. One interesting thing is that you don't need to register if your drone is under 250g. And, in any case, i don't know how it is in CDMX, i imagine some rules and laws are actually enforced there, but in rural areas, nobody cares. I live in Oaxaca where a very large proportion of drivers on the road have no license or insurance, and your can get a license without knowing how to drive (no test at all).

Not Mexican, Canadian with Mexican residency. Just a random series of choices over the years... I organized and guided bicycle tours in different parts of southern Mexico for 16 years.

I doubt that there's any agreement between US and Mexican authorities on drones. One interesting thing is that you don't need to register if your drone is under 250g. And, in any case, i don't know how it is in CDMX, i imagine some rules and laws are actually enforced there, but in rural areas, nobody cares. I live in Oaxaca where a very large proportion of drivers on the road have no license or insurance, and your can get a license without knowing how to drive (no test at all).

Not Mexican, Canadian with Mexican residency. Just a random series of choices over the years... I organized and guided bicycle tours in different parts of southern Mexico for 16 years.
I didn't read where you don't have to register under 250gms. Do you have anything that shows that in writing? As soon as COVID is over I hope to spend some time there. Most of my time was in CDMX and confess I only got to visit two other areas that weren't right in the middle of Mexico. I have to fix that. Such a beautiful country.

I didn't read where you don't have to register under 250gms. Do you have anything that shows that in writing? As soon as COVID is over I hope to spend some time there. Most of my time was in CDMX and confess I only got to visit two other areas that weren't right in the middle of Mexico. I have to fix that. Such a beautiful country.

It's a PDF on the SCT site:

Just do a search for 250

There are also several videos on youtube that summarize the NOM. Search for RPAS Dron or things like that.

I read the Normas and while my Spanish isn't the greatest, I read sections 4-7 and didn't see where it said that "Micros" don't have to be registered. I'm sure your Spanish and knowledge of the Mexican rules is better than mine.

Edit: What I couldn't find on the Mexican site I found part of the information concerning bilateral agreement on the FAA site. It says"

"
  • If you are a Canadian or Mexican National, the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), formerly known as North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), authorizes certain agricultural/industrial operations commonly referred to as Specialty Air Services (SAS). DOT has granted a blanket foreign aircraft permit for the SAS operations explicitly covered by NAFTA. This permit is applicable to both manned and UAS or drone operations. Under the terms of this permit, you do not need to file applications with DOT for economic authority to conduct SAS operations for which coverage has become effective under NAFTA. Review the DOT NAFTA SAS Information Packet to determine whether your proposed operation meets these conditions. Other types of operations not explicitly covered by NAFTA will likely require a foreign aircraft permit. Please contact the Office of the Secretary of Transportation (OST), Office of International Aviation at (202) 366-2405 for clarification. All other requirements related to commercial UAS or drone operation by foreign nationals remain applicable. "

Last edited:
I read the Normas and while my Spanish isn't the greatest, I read sections 4-7 and didn't see where it said that "Micros" don't have to be registered. I'm sure your Spanish and knowledge of the Mexican rules is better than mine.

Edit: What I couldn't find on the Mexican site I found part of the information concerning bilateral agreement on the FAA site. It says"

"
  • If you are a Canadian or Mexican National, the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA), formerly known as North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), authorizes certain agricultural/industrial operations commonly referred to as Specialty Air Services (SAS). DOT has granted a blanket foreign aircraft permit for the SAS operations explicitly covered by NAFTA. This permit is applicable to both manned and UAS or drone operations. Under the terms of this permit, you do not need to file applications with DOT for economic authority to conduct SAS operations for which coverage has become effective under NAFTA. Review the DOT NAFTA SAS Information Packet to determine whether your proposed operation meets these conditions. Other types of operations not explicitly covered by NAFTA will likely require a foreign aircraft permit. Please contact the Office of the Secretary of Transportation (OST), Office of International Aviation at (202) 366-2405 for clarification. All other requirements related to commercial UAS or drone operation by foreign nationals remain applicable. "

I think what you quoted is for agricultural and industrial purposes, not for recreational drone flying.

"Micros" are any drone under 2kg. There is a stipulation about needing to register here:

5.1.1. El operador de RPAS que opere o pretenda operar en esta clasificación, además de lo establecido en los numerales 4.10. y 4.11 de la presente Norma Oficial Mexicana, debe cumplir con los siguientes requerimientos y limitacione
a) Obtener el folio de registro de RPAS a través de la inscripción de los documentos por los cuales se adquiera, transmita, modifique, grave o extinga la propiedad, la posesión y los demás derechos reales sobre las aeronaves civiles pilotadas a distancia con un peso máximo de despegue mayor a 0.250 kg

Basically, yes micros are supposed to be registered (Obtener el folio de registro de RPAS) *IF* it weighs MORE than 250g (peso máximo de despegue mayor a 0.250 kg)

I think what you quoted is for agricultural and industrial purposes, not for recreational drone flying.

"Micros" are any drone under 2kg. There is a stipulation about needing to register here:

5.1.1. El operador de RPAS que opere o pretenda operar en esta clasificación, además de lo establecido en los numerales 4.10. y 4.11 de la presente Norma Oficial Mexicana, debe cumplir con los siguientes requerimientos y limitacione
a) Obtener el folio de registro de RPAS a través de la inscripción de los documentos por los cuales se adquiera, transmita, modifique, grave o extinga la propiedad, la posesión y los demás derechos reales sobre las aeronaves civiles pilotadas a distancia con un peso máximo de despegue mayor a 0.250 kg
I see. The language is very nuanced. I wish my Spanish was better. What confused me first was "a DISTANCIA con un peso maximo, and "DESPEGUE MAYOR". How does "distancia" fit into the concept of flying a drone under 250 grams??? I had to run that through the translator and still don't see the grammatical logic from the standpoint of an Anglophile. And I hadn't seen the term despegue before, supposedly meaning takeoff, but the direct translation doesn't make sense to me in English. I wish I had spent more time there studying the language. I usually understand most written stuff though my ear sucks (even in English sometimes too).

Thanks for the info and the Spanish lesson.

I see. The language is very nuanced. I wish my Spanish was better. What confused me first was "a DISTANCIA con un peso maximo, and "DESPEGUE MAYOR". How does "distancia" fit into the concept of flying a drone under 250 grams??? I had to run that through the translator and still don't see the grammatical logic from the standpoint of an Anglophile. And I hadn't seen the term despegue before, supposedly meaning takeoff, but the direct translation doesn't make sense to me in English. I wish I had spent more time there studying the language. I usually understand most written stuff though my ear sucks (even in English sometimes too).

Thanks for the info and the Spanish lesson.
Lol. Yeah, it's legalese in Spanish. I don't get it all either. "aeronaves civiles pilotadas a distancia" ... something like civil aircraft piloted from a distance (ie: an unmanned aircraft piloted by remote)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livewire