DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

pmshop's review of the DJI Mavic Mini

pmshop

Reactions
Not a paid review:

So, I have read through the forums, tested issues and resolve...I have had the Mavic Mini since November 23rd and ready to post my findings.

The log file issue has seemed to settle down as of the morning of 28NOV19

Back to being screwy again 01Dec19. Read post #7 here.

First and foremost since this is a fresh issue, log files.
Seems log files generated with iOS devices are mixed since Apple split the iOS at version 13
There is now iOS and iPadOS.
If you use one Apple mobile device exclusively, you will not see this issue.

At the time of this post, If you use an iPad (I use iPad Mini 5) running iPadOS 13.2.3, you will see the correct data on your iPad/ iPad Mini.
However, once uploaded to DJI server and you try to import the log into Drone Logbook or AirData, you will see the data is corrupt.
IE, flight time under 10 seconds, altitude wrong...just everything wrong.

Moreover, if you use two Apple mobile devices, when the data is synced, you see similar corrupted data on the second device.
iPhone Xr in my case running iOS 13.2.3

Now I tried the opposite, using the phone for the flight and that works as expected.
Log uploads to Drone Logbook and AirData without issue or corruption of data.
But the iPad will not receive the synced data.

Flight Characteristics:
In the past, we were told for the most part to not calibrate anything unless the software asked us to.
I would highly recommend calibrating EVERYTHING right out of the box.
That will relieve many headaches.

The MM performs most remarkably well in windy conditions.
I have flown in 20mph winds (AirData analyzed) and no problem.
However, for those that like to run the battery past 10%, I have some important info:
1) You cannot abort that landing much past 10%
3) You can stick up to fight the landing but see #3
3) when the battery gets close to 7%, power is reduced to the MM. This becomes important if you flew with the wind away from you and tryig to get back. I cannot find of this "reduced power max speed" but I did see my MM retreat instead of coming back. Resolved by flying lower out of the winds.

In the USA, there is a lot more distance to this craft than the Spark or Mavic Air.
Current location, I could go at least 6K ft further than I could with the other two.
Back home, at least 4 blocks further in the dense WiFi area.

My biggest like is compass calibration. Not having to do it if disturbed by a field. With the Spark, if I got interference, I just took off, let it settle, flew it around in a tight circle/ figure 8 and off I went. With the mavic air, if there was interference, no, you could not take off. It would not let you. You HAD to calibrate the compass before proceeding. Mavic Mini is just like the Spark. Just fly...BUT do that tight circle / figure 8 to correct the compass.

Camera/ Gimbal
Remember the sport mode "dink" of the gimbal going sideways when accelerating, turning, braking?
GONE!
Wish I had the MM for a few vids in the past.
There are some slight gimbal adjustments I have seen in my flights but not a drop or angle of 25°+ as seen with the Spark and Mavic Air.
There is full control to calibrate the gimbal through auto means on level ground or manual ticks as seen with the Spark and Mavic Air.

Confirmed there is a little more control over the exposure that was initially believed.
You have an ev compensation up to +3 through -3
And you can lock it. When I mean lock it, I mean lock it.
Not like with the Spark and Mavic Air that after you "lock it" it finds another way to compensate for growing darkness or light.
IE, you set it to -0.3, lock it, the captured image continues to grow dark for a sunset.

Things I do not like,
No full size USB port on the controller.
Battery charger like the one from the Mavic Air - will only charge the least discharged one at a time.
Difficult to get the gimbal protector on.

Yes, we all wish there was a higher bitrate for the 2.7k setting.
But from what I produced with Filmora, very easy to upscale to 4K60 without any serious degradation.

All in all this looks like a sturdy little craft that deserves attention.
Wish I had enough for two when I ordered.
And a big thanks to @Florida Drone Supply for getting it to me so quickly.

Feel free to ask questions And I will edit as I learn more.

Last edited:
Several of your points are common to all DJI quads

Compass calibration: you confuse interference with need to calibrate. Never calibrate because of external interference. Instead move away from the interference or else you skew the compass. Ignoring the interference will also skew the compass when you leave the interference. The IMU tries to correct for this by yaw, which could cause a crash.

Hubs: they all are sequential rather than parallel. The one with least need of charge is first so you'll have one sooner for flying.

Compass calibration: you confuse interference with need to calibrate. Never calibrate because of external interference. Instead move away from the interference or else you skew the compass. Ignoring the interference will also skew the compass when you leave the interference. The IMU tries to correct for this by yaw, which could cause a crash.

Negative.
Once you hit interference with the Mavic Air and it asks you to calibrate, you cannot take off after moving. You must calibrate.
I have never had a crash Taking off from a deck with nails nearby, hovering for a few seconds and then off to fly.

Hubs: they all are sequential rather than parallel. The one with least need of charge is first so you'll have one sooner for flying.

I said that. The DJI Spark 3 bay hub was not. they all charged at the same time.

I'm sure a multi charger will be on the way soon. I know I will get one when available.

Reactions: pmshop
I'm sure a multi charger will be on the way soon. I know I will get one when available.

Ditto
Got one for the Mavic Air.
A must have...especially when I was chasing the UP 4014 Big Boy

Update on the flyable wind:
I went up for a sunrise his morning.
@400AGL, 21.3mph sustained winds and 32mph gusts but held its place perfectly

Reactions: WooZie
Log files are still screwy after you upload to the DJI servers.
A flight yesterday morning JUST imported into AirData.
Said I was up only 2 minutes.
Original log says 23'24"