DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Polarizing Filter hack

Jgc372

Reactions
Hi, just got my Mavic and preparing for a trip.
I've researched a fair amount and a director friend told me to get an ND set to keep the shutter speed down for smoother video.
Makes perfect sense.
But my question is, does anyone use PolarPro Polarizers as ND filters also and does it work well.
By that I mean turning the PL to the "less-polarizing" position to minimise the effect and giving you the equivalent ND reduction.
Wondering if the filter still has color effects that can't be corrected in post.
Basically trying to only buy one set of Polar Pro filters that does the job of both.
Might be fuzzy logic in practice but I would appreciate any helpful advice.
Much appreciated
Julien

Yes I use both. The difference with the polarizing is it cuts the glare from water and shiny things. It all depends on where you're flying what you're videoing pretty much depends on the situation

Thanks very much Slayerstwin!
Yes I'm familiar with polarizers.
I'm mostly interested in aerial view photography and wanting to get the best images in camera as possible.
I figure the polarizers will "cut" through surface glare on water and give nice gradations but not sure how it will affect vegetation. Presumably it depends on time of day also, I'll probably be shooting in high sun for a strong light effect.
Do you use ND or PL more from your experience, any advice specific to these uses
Thanks very much
J

mostly both e.g. ND16PL, only time I don't use the PL version is when I need to use the ND32

Reactions: Jgc372
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31