DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Possibly Dumb Weird Possible Experiment

@Chaosrider this is in reply to you post #12,wher you replied to my post #9
as you say, regardless of what responses you receive ,to a thread you start ,you are going to do something anyway, you seem to be upset if other posters ,have a different opinion to yours ,and you try to over complicate posts ,and argue with yourself
anyway good luck with your drone flying ,stay safe and enjoy life

I think it all depends on the vantage point of the pilot. I am assuming all his number are AGL. If he is starting off at 150' AGL then he is well below 400' all the time. Additionally, the vantage point that he has may give him a clear view of the drone through the entire sortie. The though about seeing/hearing helos are well meaning, but in my experience a complicated issue. A lot depends on how high above the ridge Chaos wants to fly. I suspect winged aircraft are going to be significantly above tree top level at the top of the ridge. And the hear/see helos is complicated because the sound often echoes off of structures that disguise the direction of the helo. I've experienced that flying an open lakefront where I had no idea where the helo was or was coming from, except that I knew based on the shoreline that he had to be parallel with the shore, but not sure how far out. All I could do was pull my drone down as fast as I could as low as I dared go... And when he came into view he was nowhere near my drone.

There are ways to fly safely inside. A LOT of folks fly from inside their cars. Is that any different- except that there is probably an engine running and fan blowers blowing which isolate the sound. Of course it is imperative for the pilot to actively engage in risk assessment and management.

What the (Mod Removed Language)You ask a question and say that you are all about following the rules and then when someone explains that you may not be within the rules you counter with a “these rules don’t exist because they aren’t being enforced” argument. Sounds like some crazy the rules only apply when I want them to and I am never wrong logic to me.

Mike
(sigh)

I feel like I'm stuck in "Groundhog Day".

The OP had a perspective, which I explicitly respected, and didn't share. I then explained my perspective.

In what alternate universe is that somehow "bad"?

Everyone decides for themselves what rules they're going to follow. Some do it broadly, in advance (eg, "I follow all rules"), and some people make more refined judgements in real time. The responsibility to decide for yourself what rules you're going to follow is always with the individual.

I'm not sure where the "always right" thing came from. I'm wrong plenty.

Just not about this...

;-)

Thx,

TCS

@Chaosrider this is in reply to you post #12,wher you replied to my post #9
as you say, regardless of what responses you receive ,to a thread you start ,you are going to do something anyway, you seem to be upset if other posters ,have a different opinion to yours ,and you try to over complicate posts ,and argue with yourself
anyway good luck with your drone flying ,stay safe and enjoy life
What "upset"? I think you may be projecting how *you* would feel if *you* said what I said, and that kind of translation frequently fails.

It's a tautology...something that's true by definition...that people are going to do something in any given situation.

I don't get the least bit upset when other posters disagree with me, unless they're snarky and nasty about it. If someone gives me a civilized response that disagrees with me, they'll get a civilized response from me, every time.

I will indeed have good luck with my drone flying, stay safe, and enjoy life. And I wish the same for you!

:)

TCS

What "upset"? I think you may be projecting how *you* would feel if *you* said what I said, and that kind of translation frequently fails.

It's a tautology...something that's true by definition...that people are going to do something in any given situation.

I don't get the least bit upset when other posters disagree with me, unless they're snarky and nasty about it. If someone gives me a civilized response that disagrees with me, they'll get a civilized response from me, every time.

I will indeed have good luck with my drone flying, stay safe, and enjoy life. And I wish the same for you!

:)

TCS
Just my 2 cents.
I equate flying a drone from a motor vehicle or the living room couch, to a certificated part 61 / 135 Pilot flying a manned aircraft while donning a training hood. Just sayin.
B52-D
Blue Skys and Happy Contrails. ➰

Attachments

• 59076195-1A29-4622-A2CD-382A575EA047.png
    59076195-1A29-4622-A2CD-382A575EA047.png
    297.2 KB · Views: 6
  • DB98F30B-5A05-465D-83DA-EA4CD3CA2E79.png
    DB98F30B-5A05-465D-83DA-EA4CD3CA2E79.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 6
Just my 2 cents.
I equate flying a drone from a motor vehicle or the living room couch, to a certificated part 61 / 135 Pilot flying a manned aircraft while donning a training hood. Just sayin.
B52-D
Blue Skys and Happy Contrails. ➰
Ah, I can see that comparison. A bit too binary perhaps, since I will still be able to see the drone.

I always used foogles instead of a hood...

Any manned aircraft flying where I fly drones, will eat granite long before it eats my drone! Except for helicopters of course, but they can't sneak up on me. The acoustics in this canyon mean that I can hear them a long way off. That's happened a few times, and when it does, I immediately drop the drone to a lower altitude, and start it heading for home, whether I can see the helicopter or not.

Hopefully it will warm up before I convince myself to do this, but the forecast does not look promising.

Thx!

TCS

If your under 400 ft out but then when you get out there and go
up 400ft you would be good but if you lose signal for whaterever
reason it would RTH at that altitude. Just something to think about .🤷‍♂️

If your under 400 ft out but then when you get out there and go
up 400ft you would be good but if you lose signal for whaterever
reason it would RTH at that altitude. Just something to think about .🤷‍♂️
I thought about that. I'll move away slowly, while keeping a close eye on the signal strength. If it gets down to 3 bars, I'll end the experiment.

And if it does go RTH, that's fine. I forget the exact wording, but in an emergency, the rule is to land as soon as practicable, or some such thing. In the case of signal loss, RTH is that.

Thx,

TCS

Reactions: dirkclod

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143