DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Post editing pixelating issue-unable to resolve

SGM

Reactions
I have a question I am hoping someone can assist with, I have searched the threads but cant find a good answer to my specific issue.

Shooting in both 2.7k and 1080, +1-0-0; D-log as well as D-Cinelike.

Video downloaded looks smooth and clear, however after post editing, I seem to have a persistent issue with heavy pixelating on mostly water surfaces but also on land (grass/fields), moving with the video as the drone footage moves.

I am sure it is something I am doing (or not) but cant seem to stop it unless I undue all grading back to the original.
I am using Filmora, there are no good LUTs I have found for this software so I am manually grading.

I'm sure a simple answer and solution if someone could educate me on what I am or am not doing.

Thanks!

This is most likely the result of rendering the final video at a low data-rate (Mbps). Do you know what your Megabits per second is set to for rendering? In Windows, you can right-mouse over the rendered file, select Properties, then click the Details tab to see your data rate.

Thanks Kevin,
The original data rate was 3995 and the finished export rate was 12354.

The original on this latest project looked mostly clear of artifact/pixelation (if I'm stating this correctly), so I'm not sure what the issue could be with the bitrate being over 12000?

On this last try, I took all grading back to original and lowered the saturation and vibrancy down just a little.

Thanks again!

That original data rate doesn't sound right. I am assuming that the 3995 value you posted is in Kbps...? That is incredibly low. Are you sure that the original wasn't converted or down-sampled prior to editing?

What resolution are we talking about here? 1080? 2.7k? 4k? If it's 2.7 or 4k, the value of 12000Kbps is really low. It's even pretty low for 1080. There's a problem with the data rates.... Hmmmmm

Makes sense, the information in the properties detail tab only stated 3995 Kbps, no way to tell if it was converted or downsized. The video was shot in 1080p. 30fps
Unfortunately the editing program I'm using does not give all of the information and options premier, Davinci or hit films does other than changing the bitrate value for export, which I did to 50,000

This video was also shot before I started using nd/polarizer filters and set at +1-0-0....could this have had an effect as well?

Once again thanks for the response and assist, really appreciated

Jon

Makes sense, the information in the properties detail tab only stated 3995 Kbps, no way to tell if it was converted or downsized. The video was shot in 1080p. 30fps
Unfortunately the editing program I'm using does not give all of the information and options premier, Davinci or hit films does other than changing the bitrate value for export, which I did to 50,000

This video was also shot before I started using nd/polarizer filters and set at +1-0-0....could this have had an effect as well?

Once again thanks for the response and assist, really appreciated

Jon
Ok, Jon - one last question... Was the source (original) video taken from your Mavic's SD card? Or from your device (phone / tablet)?

Ok, that's the proper source, but the data-rate is very low. Once you're down to 4 Mbps (3995 Kbps), you can not *up sample* the footage later. It only makes matters worse. You need to find out which program down-sampled the original footage, which if memory serves should be around 30000 Kbps or 40000 Kbps for 1080p from the Mavic. Your source footage appears to be the problem. Hope that helps...

Makes sense, I'll start researching today and try to find the problem source.
Appreciate the time and insight.

Reactions: Qoncussion
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonrva89