DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Practicing color grading

Critique: (Preface - by no means an expert, i've never color graded myself, only just now learning from youtube, so all of the following comes off of what little I learned online ?)

Nice opening shot. Solid choice on song as well.

1st shot was better than 2nd. But the color overall was stunning. You caught the sun rays over the water which looked realistic.

The freeway/bridge clips seemed a touch overexposed, at least when looking at the white buildings.

1st & 2nd lighthouse shot was very nice considering how the sun was so bright. I’m sure the histogram was a bit off on the drone.

The 3rd lighthouse shot was a nice vertigo touch, but a bit blown out due to the sun, but that’s to be expected if it was middle of the day.

The 4th lighthouse shot was my favorite – nice dark tones, made it feel like a movie scene without changing too much of what was really shot.

I get what you’re going for with the sun over lake footage at 1:16 – but it comes off unrealistic since the sun is obviously much brighter.

Then of course at 1:27, the opposite problem where the sun is overexposed, and takes away from the otherwise perfect pan of the houses. But at the same time, this could be forgiven if you frame the shot where we see mostly the houses and maybe just a sliver of the sun above.

--

Ok that's all I got. I know this was a practice/test sequence, but I learned something interesting from a Youtube video. (can't remember the name/title)

Whatever color grade/correcting settings you choose at the beginning of the video, should be maintained through the entire presentation. They explain better in the video but I felt like that made sense since most videos are usually shot outside in the same area, so it would be odd if first shot was dark and mysterious, but next shot was bright and colorful. I feel like the exception would be if you're making a music video. But as far as drone videos go, I see their point.

Reactions: ExtraTerresa
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman