DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Problems with SD Cards wanting to format...

Badgersurfer

Reactions
I hae a problem with the Mavic 2 SD cards. They are Sandisk extreme 64gb and Sandisk 64gb Extreme Pro. Both seem to be having the same problem. I have quite a few PC mostly i5 and i7s. They are running the latest Win 10 and one is running windows 7. I use and Anker card reader of which I have 2 as well as the standard Sandisk micro to standard sd adapters which come with the micro sds. So I can plug the usb type c into my Mavic 2 and transfer contents to me Dell Optiplex I7 9010 and it waorks fine most times. Then other times it says it wants to Format the card. I have tried numerous ways and machies and I get the same fault. But if I put the card into my Crystalsky it reads it perfectly. The trouble s it takes forever and a day to transfer the drone to the crystalsky. I am getting a smart controller next week, I winder if this is USB 3 and I can transfer the contents of the 64 gb sd from the drone to the smart controller without the huge wait because of slow transfer.
has anyone else got this problem?

1) Just use the anker card reader. This is much quicker than any transfer from the aircraft or controller.

2) I really think DJI has a problem with the way they write to the card. I often get, when I plug a card into my card reader, a popup from Windows that tells me it needs to check for errors (not the same as a format, but read on). It never finds anything wrong, but it almost always wants to check. And there's nothing ever wrong with the images.

I use the same card readers for many other devices / cameras (same types of cards as well) and only get that issue with the card I take out of the Mavic.

Question: You say you sometimes get the Format prompt when plugging the Mavic directly to the computer via USB. Do you also get format prompt when you use the card reader?

It's weird, if I format the card in the mavic as I alwYs do when I start a new flight, I then finish my day and return. Plug into the Mavic usb t3 port and transfer it usually works fine. If i power off and plug in again, it doesn't read the card but asks me to format it. Pretty the same happens if I take it out and put it in the Anker card reader. Now like yourself I have been doing photography for years and virtually always use SanDisk problem free and have found the Anker to be one of the best and reliable reader. In fact I have a handful of them for my different machines, never had one fail. So back to the SD card, when the Anker and in fact all my other machines with different readers say they want to Format the card the CS Ultra reads them perfectly. So like you say something DJI are doing is screwing them up. I am pretty sure they are all ex(fat) by default.

I hae a problem with the Mavic 2 SD cards. They are Sandisk extreme 64gb and Sandisk 64gb Extreme Pro. Both seem to be having the same problem. I have quite a few PC mostly i5 and i7s. They are running the latest Win 10 and one is running windows 7. I use and Anker card reader of which I have 2 as well as the standard Sandisk micro to standard sd adapters which come with the micro sds. So I can plug the usb type c into my Mavic 2 and transfer contents to me Dell Optiplex I7 9010 and it waorks fine most times. Then other times it says it wants to Format the card. I have tried numerous ways and machies and I get the same fault. But if I put the card into my Crystalsky it reads it perfectly. The trouble s it takes forever and a day to transfer the drone to the crystalsky. I am getting a smart controller next week, I winder if this is USB 3 and I can transfer the contents of the 64 gb sd from the drone to the smart controller without the huge wait because of slow transfer.
has anyone else got this problem?
I'm having trouble with the same SanDisk card, but it's not the same situation as yours. My photos don't appear at all, and it says "lost directory". I ordered a new card to try troubleshoot it. I tried reformatting the card and that did not solve the problem.

I'm having trouble with the same SanDisk card, but it's not the same situation as yours. My photos don't appear at all, and it says "lost directory". I ordered a new card to try troubleshoot it. I tried reformatting the card and that did not solve the problem.
Yep I have just returned mine to amazon (64GB Sandisk Extreme Pro) and the new card has just arrived. I don't hold too much hope though as I have several Sandisk 64 extremes and the same thing is happening. I am wondering if it is something to do with the way DJI is formatting the card. I am wondering if they should be NTFS or Fat32 as these new cards are exFAT... Very annoying as it is happening with all my machines and they are reading all my other cards ok including the same cards using a DJI Osmo Pocket. So the Mavic 2 is definitely what is screwing them up.

I get that message every time I connect the SD card to the computer, in both my Spark & my Zoom, no matter what brand/size card I use. Don't think Windows approves of the way DJI formats the card. I just ignore it. Reads and writes fine. Tempted to format it thru Windows, but don't feel confident it would work properly in the drone. Let the system that uses the card, format the card. Would rather have issues while hooked up to my computer than 100 feet in the air and 2000 feet away from me. As long as it works as it's supposed to in the drone, I don't care what Windows thinks.

Last edited:
I get that message every time I connect the SD card to the computer, in both my Spark & my Zoom, no matter what brand/size card I use. Don't think Windows approves of the way DJI formats the card. I just ignore it. Reads and writes fine. Tempted to format it thru Windows, but don't feel confident it would work properly in the drone. Let the system that uses the card, format the card. Would rather have issues while hooked up to my computer than 100 feet in the air and 2000 feet away from me. As long as it works as it's supposed to in the drone, I don't care what Windows thinks.
Formatting in windows will make no difference it will work in the drone. But always format the card in the drone before your fly. Same with cameras it is always better to format using the device the cards will be used in. I have been using a multitude of digital devices with CF & SD cards since they first came out and never experienced this sort of issue. I will let dji know as there is no good reason for this to happens. It even corrupts it if you plug into the ctype usb on the drone a few times. I have experienced issues whereby the card wasn't (ejected) released from the reader correctly. I will et DJI know about this a see wht they come back with... Probably "I will pass it to our engineering team and we will get back to you"... :)

Tempted to format it thru Windows, but don't feel confident it would work properly in the drone. Let the system that uses the card, format the card. Would rather have issues while hooked up to my computer than 100 feet in the air and 2000 feet away from me. As long as it works as it's supposed to in the drone, I don't care what Windows thinks.
Formatting in windows will make no difference it will work in the drone. But always format the card in the drone before your fly.
No need to worry at all.
Format your SD card in whichever device is convenient.
If your drone objects to the way the card is formatted (it won't), it will just ask you to reformat it anyway.
I have formatted SD cards thousands of times in the computer and have never had a drone or camera object to it.

You mention yo are getting a smart controller. If you sync the smart controller to the drone, you can have all your photos saved to the SD card in the smart controller. Then it just becomes a matter of transferring them from that card to where ever you want them. The charge cord can be used if you want to copy the smart controller files to a laptop or portable device. (Notes on this elsewhere).

Reactions: Badgersurfer
I found that windows 10 prefers you to 'Eject' the card from the reader and from the drone c-type connector using the correct procedure. Since I have been doing this I have not had a problem. Very odd as micro sd's along with my Anker card readers usually hotswap no problems with all my Canon equipment and DJI Osmo Pocket...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mini2+