DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Progressiveness commands response

AndreaBB

Reactions
Hi guys,
I'm practicing to hand make the automatic quickshots offered by MM.
I noticed that the progressiveness is not very smooth and sometimes the commands are more close to an on/off behaviour.
This is especially true when I try to slowly draw a circle in the air, that comes to be more like a triangle.

Has anyone had a similar experience or it's just my inability? (the latter would be better because I can still improve myself)

Reactions: old man mavic
I've managed to do something close to a circle quickshot for a 180deg arc.... once!

It takes a lot of practice and very smooth input to the controls. Anything more than very small and slow changes to the stick positions ends up with "triangles" (I like your description of it ? :)). It is a delicate balancing act of blending 2 control inputs together that makes the difference (eg rotate left + slide to the right)

Try getting the drone up into a clear open space with plenty of room to move and start flying sideways. Then, slowly mix rotation, little by little, in the opposite direction until you have the drone circling round a point like the "circle" quickshot.

Thanks, that's what I've been trying to do for the last hour :rolleyes:. Tomorrow will be better, I'm sure (I'm talking about a vertical circle, I'm quite good with the horizontal one).
The odd part is that I can "easily" do it with my indoor micro drone, that's way I was wondering if the problem was the default configuration and the lack of EXPO options.

Just curious what micro drone you have? I've got a Tello and use TelloFPV to control it. That gives you lots of control over expo settings which you don't get on the MM. I've not really explored the response curve of the MM well yet.

Are you using cine mode on the MM? The one and only successful manual circle I did was actually in S mode. I was about 100m away from the target so it was a very large radius curve I was flying on. my left stick was only just off neutral position.

I've got a Potensic A20 to play indoor, it doesn't have any sensor other than the barometer (that I'm not 100% sure it works) so it's in a sort of atti mode that requires a lot of dexterity and concentration.
On the MM I've tried both C and P modes, never the S. I will do it next time.

I'm not sure S mode is the best for manual quickshots. C mode might be better, depending on the circumstances. The main reason I used S mode for that clip I did was because I wanted the drone to cover a large distance quickly. It meant a very gentle touch was required on the left stick for rotation!

Potensic A20 looks like a nice little drone to play with. It's probably given you good practice learning to fly without position holding help from GPS or optical sensors!

it is extremely difficult to fly a perfect circle around a fixed point ,it requires not only very smooth stick control,but because of a constant change in perspective during the rotation combined with the wind blowing from different directions as well ,it is very hard to keep a constant speed ,its somewhat akin to flying a heli model,all this is why the auto flying modes are incorporated in the drone, which use algorithms based on all the information from the sensors in the drone ,to enable it to make it look easy,it the same with a waypoints mission the drone is able to do a much better job

it is very hard to keep a constant speed ,its somewhat akin to flying a heli model,all this is why the auto flying modes are incorporated in the drone, which use algorithms based on all the information from the sensors in the drone ,to enable it to make it look easy,it the same with a waypoints mission the drone is able to do a much better job

Since I don't fly to make money but just for fun, I'd like to have fun and, if possible, gain new skills.
Setting an auto mode it's effective for a video but too easy to feel myself satisfied.
If I had to make money out of this, I would have had a different perspective.

Last edited:
i very rarely use the auto modes like you i prefer to fly manually,i was merely pointing out some of the issues that need to be overcome to fly manually,but as you have discovered,practice enough and it gradually gets easier, and it is very satisfying when your master it ,its the same with RTH, i can count on one hand the number of times i have used it i prefer to fly back manually and land myself, i too only fly for pleasure i do not fly for commercial reasons

Reactions: AndreaBB

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirjhara