DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Prop Screws Heads up

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I had been alerted to the need for a good Phillips 000 size screwdriver for the Mini 3 Pro as the little thing they give you to replace props is junk. I damaged a prop and replaced it with no problem, then attempted to replace another and nothing I could do would get that second screw out even with my new screwdriver. I tried the DJI cheap screwdriver and it was a no go also. Either would begin to strip the screw's head. I checked all of the screws and there were two that simply would not unscrew. Crazy. I'm not incompetent and was applying all reasonable pressure and a bit less..etc. so off to DJI it goes for...simple screws! I guess I could have just kept using it till there was a problem but given my other 5 drones I'll get by.

Well the best set i have ever seen is the XACTO brand screwdriver kit for electronics, etc. But I don't think they are manufactured anymore. I have a set but was looking to expand my kit since 1996.
the closest i can come to an answer for you is this.
EDIT: I have contacted xacto for more information about the screwdriver set and where they can be found. If anywhere. More Later ...

Last edited:
I had been alerted to the need for a good Phillips 000 size screwdriver for the Mini 3 Pro as the little thing they give you to replace props is junk. I damaged a prop and replaced it with no problem, then attempted to replace another and nothing I could do would get that second screw out even with my new screwdriver. I tried the DJI cheap screwdriver and it was a no go also. Either would begin to strip the screw's head. I checked all of the screws and there were two that simply would not unscrew. Crazy. I'm not incompetent and was applying all reasonable pressure and a bit less..etc. so off to DJI it goes for...simple screws! I guess I could have just kept using it till there was a problem but given my other 5 drones I'll get by.
Sorry to hear about this. It's frustrating when you've done this kind of thing a thousand times and it just defeats you.
I use 2 kits extensively for computer repair work.
This:
And this - my favorite,...

Does anyone know if they use Loctite on those threads? Might explain the difficulty removing the screws.

• Wow
Reactions: klaario and @Rip
A lot of owners are having success after heating the screwdriver and applying it to the screwhead for a few seconds. It softens the threadlock, apparently.

Reactions: WanderLost
if they use Loctite on those threads?
I don’t own any of the mini products, but quite a lot of DJI screws that I’ve seen have a small bluish amount of thread sealer. If it’s the Loctite brand, I can’t answer, but it is some form of thread lock. As mentioned above, application of heat in some fashion does help release the the grip these compounds produce. The blue colored product tends to be used in screws that can be removed and the red colored product is intended to be used on threads that are to remain in place. Heat is definitely needed to remove the red product.

Sorry to hear about this. It's frustrating when you've done this kind of thing a thousand times and it just defeats you.
I use 2 kits extensively for computer repair work.
This:
And this - my favorite,...

Does anyone know if they use Loctite on those threads? Might explain the difficulty removing the screws.
I like that from Amazon, it even has a JIS tip by the looks of it!!

Reactions: @Rip
Some of my screws go in extremely tight, and no they aren't cross threaded. I'm wondering if others have noticed this issue.

Strange, I've replaced at least 16 maybe more. I fly alot and never had a problem. Just don't over tighten is the key and it screws in fine.

I just use the one the comes with it. Works fine.

In another forum (on FakeBook) I addressed the topic of that total POS cheap junk toy screwdriver that DJI includes with the Mini 3 Pro for changing the props.

I changed my set of props earlier this year & ran into a similar problem.

I didn't even succeed getting 1 prop off before that cheap crap metal in their misfit tool tip was distorted, with part of 1 edge broken, leaving the whole tool unusable.

Thankfully, I had a quality set of jeweler's drivers available, & I was able to successfully replace the entire set of props without incident using 1 of Phillips head drivers, but even that never fit the screw heads properly.

The tip seemed to “bottom-out” long before the sides (or blades?) in the tip were properly engaged.

So, I decided to do some digging… & it seems highly likely that DJI gets those screws supplied locally, or at least, regionally… that being Asia.

Japan uses, or at least, used to use, that JIS type, & for the reasons mentioned here:

Phillips, JIS, and Pozidriv screwdrivers explained | BikeGremlin

I haven't actually ordered a set of JIS-type drivers yet, but by all appearances, & with their less acute angled tip & less-radiused blade roots, I think that those screws are JIS-type, rather than Phillips head.

List of screw drives - Wikipedia

I have no doubt that they'll fit those tiny screws better.

I hope this helps, at least, until DJI can supply or offer a properly-fitting driver, & of proper quality – I ALWAYS avoid chrome-plated tools, or at least, ones with chrome-plated working surfaces!

Chrome or shiny-plated tools tend to hide garbage metal.

Quality tool steel has a black anodized finish.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne