DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Proper tool (drone) for the job?

pipeacq

Reactions
Just identified a need for a drone. We want to load a kml file to guide the drone while it records video. Will fly up to a mile away for our use, close (50') to ground, so obstacle sensing is necessary.

Just started looking around, and Mavic has the Spark and also the Mavic Air. Spark has 2-axis gimbal, Air has 3-axis.

Will the Spark do the job, or should we go to the Air? And, it appears each has its own controller, which appear to utilize a smartphone for display (would use a Galaxy S7, we believe).

Does anyone have an opinion as to which we should get? It looks like Litchi is a good app for guiding the drone, and I presume both models accept input from Litchi.

Thanks!

The Spark has a published transmission range of 2 km (1.24 miles), so at low altitude, I'd be surprised if that would keep in contact. The Mavic Air has a 10 km range (6.2 miles) - so of the two, the Mavic Air is the more 'serious' of the Drones.
I don't know what country you are operational in, but here in the UK, you would not be able to do what you are proposing without some serious qualifications and permission from the CAA (Civil Aviation Authority), as you'd be operating outside of Visual Line of Sight (VLOS) of your drone. I'd suggest that before you make a purchase, get familiar with what rules and regulations you need to operate under in your country, otherwise, you might do this and end up arrested without a drone.

You might have to use litchi as dji go4 has a programmable limit of 500 meters - you may have to use waypoints to program it

How do you plan on maintaing visual line of sight (as the rules require), at that distance? Or are just going to say "To hell" with the FAA and it's rules?

You might have to use litchi as dji go4 has a programmable limit of 500 meters - you may have to use waypoints to program it
That 500m is an AGL height limit ... The OP wants to fly at 50 ft [15 metres] AGL ... so that shouldn't be an issue?

How do you plan on maintaing visual line of sight (as the rules require), at that distance?
We're not sure what country he's operating in yet? Still giving the benefit of the doubt before quoting country reg's ... ?

@pipeacq is looking to buy a drone, so hopefully, we can steer him/her in the right direction regulation-wise, so that they don't go out and buy the drone - only to then find out that local Aviation Authority reg's prevent them doing their project ...

@pipeacq - Give us a head's up regarding where you are in the world, and we may be able to confirm if this project is doable ...

G
@pipeacq is looking to buy a drone, so hopefully, we can steer him/her in the right direction regulation-wise, so that they don't go out and buy the drone - only to then find out that local Aviation Authority reg's prevent them doing their project ...

@pipeacq - Give us a head's up regarding where you are in the world, and we may be able to confirm if this project is doable ...

Great advice!!! I just don't want our hobby taken from us.

Great advice!!! I just don't want our hobby taken from us.
Agreed ... However, I'm just amazed at how many people I'm coming across, who have brought Drones and have received zero advice that would indicate to them that there are serious CAA/FAA rules and regulations that apply to the hobby. They just plain don't know! Chastising them isn't going to help ... All we can do is provide constructive advice and education, and lobby for something like getting Drone resellers to include a copy of the local reg's in the box with the drone when it's shipped. :(

Reactions: dwolfe002
Given today's increased requirements for legislative control aimed at inserting a level of professionalism and increased safety to RPAS (sUAV) flying, it really is up to the user to get informed about regulations before you fly or buy. It seems that the original poster will be doing a BLOS (beyond visual line of site) operation so they would really have to check what the laws are for their area. In Canada, they would need an SFOC (special flight operating certificate). Transport Canada is working on a BLOS certification for pilots, but no one has seen the proposed requirements yet. the FAA has similar rules regarding beyond visual line of site flying.

How do you plan on maintaing visual line of sight (as the rules require), at that distance? Or are just going to say "To hell" with the FAA and it's rules?
It is very flat in the area. I may only be able to see it for half a mile, so that would limit my flight distance.

Also, I am in the western U.S., so, yes, I still have to read the regs. Want to see if drones can do what we want, so I know what I am looking at in the regs.

It is very flat in the area. I may only be able to see it for half a mile, so that would limit my flight distance.

Also, I am in the western U.S., so, yes, I still have to read the regs. Want to see if drones can do what we want, so I know what I am looking at in the regs.
Yes, I am in NM. Just don't buy until you know the basic rules and regs

Just identified a need for a drone. We want to load a kml file to guide the drone while it records video. Will fly up to a mile away for our use, close (50') to ground, so obstacle sensing is necessary.

Just started looking around, and Mavic has the Spark and also the Mavic Air. Spark has 2-axis gimbal, Air has 3-axis.

Will the Spark do the job, or should we go to the Air? And, it appears each has its own controller, which appear to utilize a smartphone for display (would use a Galaxy S7, we believe).

Does anyone have an opinion as to which we should get? It looks like Litchi is a good app for guiding the drone, and I presume both models accept input from Litchi.

Thanks!
Personally I would skip the Spark and the Air and buy a Mavic Pro 1. Occusync beats both by a huge margin, the RC is nicer, flight time is longer, and it's quieter. Also, you cannot and should not be relying upon any type of obstacle avoidance to work. For solid, well-defined and well-lit objects such as buildings it will work fine. For avoiding wires, tree branches, etc. it will probably not work well. Plan your flight to avoid any obstacles. Yes, Litchi is your best option for planning a mission, as you can use it in conjunction with "Virtual Litchi Mission" to plan and virtually fly in Google Earth using 'above ground level' heights, and since the mission is uploaded to the AC you would be able to be out of RC contact for part of your mission if necessary. Know your national/local regulations before doing anything. You would probably be breaking them if flying one mile away. Any flight that is not for hobby purposes requires a Part 107 certification in the USA. Regardless of your choice in aircraft, it is extremely important to read and completely understand the manual before any flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661