DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Questions About Mini 4 Pro

dj3183

Reactions
I am thinking about purchasing an DJI Mini 4 Pro as a back up and need some help: I current fly an Air 2S using a regular RC and an iPad Mini. This combination works pretty well with the exception that sometimes in bright daylight the screen is a little dark. Please help me with the following questions:
1.) Is it easy to switch between the two drones when using the DJI Fly app on the iPad Mini? I’m trying to determine whether I need to buy the RC2 controller or just use my iPad with the regular RC that comes with it.
2.) Is the RC2 controller with the built in screen any better, or brighter, than my iPad Mini?
3.) When I fly my Air 2S using Litchi waypoints, it occasionally loses signal and, as a result, is sometime rather jumpy because the waypoints are sent via the RC and when the RC loses transmission for even a millisecond, it creates a jumpy video. I have heard (and I don’t know what the terminology is) that the information for a waypoint mission through the DJI Fly app on the Mini 4 Pro is stored in the drone, and not sent as a signal from the RC (like Litchi does), thereby creating a nice, smooth video. Does anyone know if this is true that the waypoint missions are stored in the drone and not the RC?

Reactions: PeterPatrick
With regards to qu 1, part a) i.e. switching an iPad between drones, probably as easy as closing the app, unplugging it from one controller and connecting it to the other controller, literally.
That assumes the fly app boots automatically when connected to a controller that is switched on.

With regards to qu 1, part a) i.e. switching an iPad between drones, probably as easy as closing the app, unplugging it from one controller and connecting it to the other controller, literally.
That assumes the fly app boots automatically when connected to a controller that is switched on.
I am now wondering if it would even be necessary to close the app ?
I can't test this as my iPhone uses an early version of the fly app and would be incompatible with my mini 2

Reactions: dj3183
For screen brightness, I'm going to take a leap and suggest you check into tablet and/or phone made by Tripltek.
I have the RC2 and having used iPads and iPhones previously I find it to be an exceptional device in sunlight. But there is usually a nice shade tree calling out for me to stand under it.

I've used an iPad Mini with multiple drones with no problem. I now use the RC2 because it's so quick and convenient. I think the RC2 is brighter, but the iPad was better for spotting power lines and other hard to see obstacles.

As mentioned by Felix le Chat, a hood is cheaper to use.

I'd suggest a four sided hood for the best results if available for the newer design of remote.

I purchased a similar hood when I flew my SPARK with a Ipad mini 4.

Although a bit cumbersome, the 4 sided hood didn't allow any glare from the sun when flying.

As mentioned above, a shade tree or maybe a sombrero will help keep the glare off of the iPad mini screen.

I fly a MA2 with a Tripltek 7"pro nowadays and never needed a hood to block the glare.

Have fun shopping. 😊

1.) Is it easy to switch between the two drones when using the DJI Fly app on the iPad Mini? I’m trying to determine whether I need to buy the RC2 controller or just use my iPad with the regular RC that comes with it.

As I recall from tinkering with the Air 2S and Mini 2 a couple of years ago, when swapping a controller from one drone to another, it's necessary to do a quick download from the Internet. It's an inconvenience, but not a big one.

I am thinking about purchasing an DJI Mini 4 Pro
3.) When I fly my Air 2S using Litchi waypoints, it occasionally loses signal and, as a result, is sometime rather jumpy because the waypoints are sent via the RC and when the RC loses transmission for even a millisecond, it creates a jumpy video. I have heard (and I don’t know what the terminology is) that the information for a waypoint mission through the DJI Fly app on the Mini 4 Pro is stored in the drone, and not sent as a signal from the RC (like Litchi does), thereby creating a nice, smooth video. Does anyone know if this is true that the waypoint missions are stored in the drone and not the RC?
That's correct, Waypoints are uploaded to Mini 4P. And you can choose, what to do when connection is lost - RTH, Hover or Continue (Continue is not available in Europe. But I can use Cellural Dongle 2 and 4G :)

Back to the OP questions.

The RC and RC2 are no-go. Neither supports both the A2S and M4P. So you're only option is Fly running on a smart device.

You'll have to do as @Yorkshire_Pud states, physically move your iPad between remote controllers when switching drones. RC-N1 for the A2S, RC-N2 purchased with the M4P.

DJI Fly will switch between the drones just fine.

Waypoints: You have heard correctly, the M4P is capable of on-board waypoints and autonomous flight. You can set up waypoint flights to continue on disconnection, and complete the mission.

For this reason alone if you get an M4P I suspect it will become your primary drone for waypoint missions, with the A2S as the backup.

However, if you can come up with the extra U$500, I'd (very) strongly recommend getting an Air 3 instead of an M4P for your application. All the same features of the M4P plus a 3x telephoto camera in addition, and can withstand any wind conditions your A2S can, so a more direct upgrade.

Also, I'd abandon the requirement to support both drones on the same smart device. Get the RC2 with the Air 3. You'll be using it most of the time, only pulling out the older tech RC-N1 and iPad when you need backup, which might be never.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lexchin