DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Questions for the community: just got a DJI mavic Air 2 a month ago and am a little nervous to fly it - very beginner and brand new to drones:

JG224789

Reactions
1) What type of registration or licensing do I have to do before operating my drone in the US specifically in the DC area which js a heavy no fly zone area?

2) considering this fact where/what community pages and websites could come me some advice on some scenic places where I can fly the drone in my local or "legal" air spaces to fly my drone?

3) Any suggestions on videos or how I can safely operate the drone to practice flying it before I take it out for actual usage to help introduce myself to how to fly/handle the drone without breaking it?

4) I plan on using it on trail runs to film in front of me or the full body/side shot view while I run for a full body/front face shot view. Im skeptical that If I were to take it on a trail that it wont be sophisticated enough to navigate itself through obstacles such as the turns of trails/trees and incoming/ongoing traffic of runners, bikers, walkers and potential cars. Am I being overly skeptical of the drone, or do you think it would be fully capable of being used to the desired extent?

Thanks for answering my questions if you can!

Reactions: Cafguy
You can fly indoors all you want!

Outside in the National Airspace System (NAS):
You must take the TRUST test FAA TRUST Online Portal for Recreational Drone Operators - Pilot Institute

You must register ($5 fee) at the DroneZone as a recreational UAS pilot FAADroneZone

Download Air Control by Aloft to check if drone flight is allowed at the area you wish to fly and apply for LAANC clearance if flying in controlled airspace.

As a recreational UAS pilot in the DC area you will find that you will be traveling to fly your drone at all. The Air 2 is not a toy and cannot be treated as such. You can read about it here https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/community_engagement/no_drone_zone/dc.

I’ll leave the aircraft experts to comment on the follow-me and obstacle avoidance capabilities of the Air 2.

Research the obstacle avoidance subject. That system has limits and varying results.
Probably several boobtube videos that may provide some insight on how that does or doesn’t work.
Find an open unpopulated area to practice in would be second on the list. First is to study the manual and get familiar with the many settings in the app.
Home point recorded is critical and stay away from metal that a magnet gets excited around.
Be safe!

You will need to take the Trust test and get the card. Most police officers know about the trust card and they will ask you for it. Where you are at may be hard to find a place to fly being the Capitol and all BUT check for a drone club in your area they will have some great info for you.
There are some really great videos out there to learn BUT You are at the best place on the net to learn about your DJI just use the search to find subjects you are curious about and read.- You will be a Drone Know it all in no time.
Even with the sensors you should Practice. Get yourself some Pool Noodles from wallyworld and put them on a wieghted base slowly start flying around them until you are confident you can control the drone.
Camera drones are much different from say FPV style drones Camera drones will hover and stay in position with little or no input so you will not have to worry as much about the drone going crazy on you. Start at a place with no people and plenty of open spaces.
Things to avoid when you are starting: NO SPORT MODE -you should know exactly how your drone operates to include stopping distances BEFORE you hit that sport mode switch.
NO busy areas- Stay well away from people and property until you are confident... It wont take long.
Be respectful to others who may seem like karens . If you meet one of these special people - Do not join in the tirade! Simply smile, apologize, and let the other person look bad.
Finally- HAVE FUN and keep flying!!
AND Welcome to the Forum!

Either Air control or Air Aware ( or both) are free apps that you NEED to figure out if you are in Controlled space. There are many areas aside those noted in these APPS where you cannot fly...National Parks are all off limits, ( Some National Forests are ok to fly)..Some State and Local parks are off limits...I would also get the UAV Forecast App to get an idea of the winds where you intend to fly. There are a lot of youtube videos for the beginner, that are short enough to keep your attention and do offer good information. ...You have already been informed to go to this site to register your drone FAADroneZone there is a lot of other valuable information at that site including the rules of the sky .... The regulations are one thing, using common sense and being considerate will keep you out of trouble. Keep in mind that operating a drone is a privilege and not a right....Good luck and safe flying

1) What type of registration or licensing do I have to do before operating my drone in the US specifically in the DC area which js a heavy no fly zone area?

2) considering this fact where/what community pages and websites could come me some advice on some scenic places where I can fly the drone in my local or "legal" air spaces to fly my drone?

3) Any suggestions on videos or how I can safely operate the drone to practice flying it before I take it out for actual usage to help introduce myself to how to fly/handle the drone without breaking it?

4) I plan on using it on trail runs to film in front of me or the full body/side shot view while I run for a full body/front face shot view. Im skeptical that If I were to take it on a trail that it wont be sophisticated enough to navigate itself through obstacles such as the turns of trails/trees and incoming/ongoing traffic of runners, bikers, walkers and potential cars. Am I being overly skeptical of the drone, or do you think it would be fully capable of being used to the desired extent?

Thanks for answering my questions if you can!
Point #4.
The O/A on all DJI drones is not foolproof, it is an excellent concept that works PRETTY well.... some of the time. This is down to the quality of the O/A cameras and the quality of the image they capture. If you want a visual example of this, take a look at the split-screen option built into the Mavic 3 where you can have the O/A video feed displayed on the flight screen. It is very poor quality and monochrome compared to the same video feed displayed by the Skydio 2 O/A cameras, which is colour and a much higher resolution.
I think much of the success or failure in filming yourself trotting down leafy by-ways will depend on how fast you run and how leafy those by-ways are.

Reactions: davidarmenb
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Keith J