DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Quick question for you experienced pilots…

Because you can’t look up and see it without first taking your goggles off? 🤷🏻‍♂️
Not relevant.

The regs say nothing about goggles. What they address, directly is when a VO is required. The requirement is ignorant of goggles, smartphone displays, more to the point whether the aircraft has a camera or not transmitting a view from the aircraft's position.

It doesn't say you're relieved from direct observation if your drone has a camera, but only if your not using goggles.

On-board cameras insofar as the FAA is concerned play no role in flight operations at this time. This is why you are required to have a VO if you aren't watching your aircraft at all times during flight operations.

• Haha
Reactions: Torque
But don't you often just look up and around across the sky to see if you can spot a small plane or helicopter before you actually hear it? It's summer, perhaps a balloon is sneaking up on your position or maybe you should be aware of one lurking on the horizon? For me 75% is closer than "almost constantly" unless my drone has left "range" and I'm somewhere I need to be for quite a few minutes....then, I find myself concentrating mostly on the screen to make sure I see as much around the drone's current position as possible.
The areas I fly in are wide open and well known to me, and, very quiet. I hear any aircraft that might be in the area before I even take off and I'm always below them in the air. Balloons are rare but even those are easily heard, the sound of the burners carries quite well. The only thing in the air I ever need to be concerned about sneaking up on me is birds, and yes I do glance up from time to time if there are birds in the area.

Reactions: mavic3usa
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom