DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC Joysticks don't respond

Nativel

Reactions
Hi @ll,

since the last time we fly our Mavic Air we have problems with the joysticks that do not respond. The propellers do not start when moving both joysticks for starting.
If we fly the drone with the cel, the joystick to fly up and down does not respond. The RC is synchronized with the drone (camera & gimbal work).
We had this same problem last year but we solved it by updating the firmware.
This time we have done following actions:
- update of the flight database
- drone and RC firmware update
After each update we have tested the drone and it still does not work. We have also calibrated both the drone and the RC and it remains the same.
Has anyone had the same problem? Does anyone know how to fix it?
Please Help!! We have a trip to Iceland next week and we want to use our Mavic Air there!!

Hi @ll,

since the last time we fly our Mavic Air we have problems with the joysticks that do not respond. The propellers do not start when moving both joysticks for starting.
If we fly the drone with the cel, the joystick to fly up and down does not respond. The RC is synchronized with the drone (camera & gimbal work).
We had this same problem last year but we solved it by updating the firmware.
This time we have done following actions:
- update of the flight database
- drone and RC firmware update
After each update we have tested the drone and it still does not work. We have also calibrated both the drone and the RC and it remains the same.
Has anyone had the same problem? Does anyone know how to fix it?
Please Help!! We have a trip to Iceland next week and we want to use our Mavic Air there!!
There is very good DJI Drone shop in the main part of Reykjavik, the owner is first class if you have not sorted it by the time you depart call into see him, he comes well recommend, have a good trip.

There is very good DJI Drone shop in the main part of Reykjavik, the owner is first class if you have not sorted it by the time you depart call into see him, he comes well recommend, have a good trip.
Thanks for the hint!

The one time my sticks didn't respond, I re-linked the remote, did a stick calibration, and everything has been fine since. Not sure if that will solve your issue or not.

As for Iceland, I just got back from there. There were lots of places to fly your drone, but don't expect to be able to fly it at any of the places you see on postcards and "things to see in Iceland", etc. All the major waterfalls/geysirs/national parks in the Golden Triangle and South Coast are no-drone zones as is the main glacier lagoon. There are no-drone signs up at all the higher traffic tourist areas around the rest of the island too (Dettifoss, Kirkjufell, etc.) Thankfully if you're willing to do short hikes or visit some of the less popular but still beautiful areas, there are still plenty of places to fly. And really watch the wind, it can change fast and hard. Just look out for the signs and you'll be fine - the drone laws are pretty relaxed outside the high traffic areas. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask, I was there for 3 weeks.

The DJI store in Reyjavik is right on the main drag, you can't miss it, and there is only one. And yes it is the one in your above link.

The one time my sticks didn't respond, I re-linked the remote, did a stick calibration, and everything has been fine since. Not sure if that will solve your issue or not.

As for Iceland, I just got back from there. There were lots of places to fly your drone, but don't expect to be able to fly it at any of the places you see on postcards and "things to see in Iceland", etc. All the major waterfalls/geysirs/national parks in the Golden Triangle and South Coast are no-drone zones as is the main glacier lagoon. There are no-drone signs up at all the higher traffic tourist areas around the rest of the island too (Dettifoss, Kirkjufell, etc.) Thankfully if you're willing to do short hikes or visit some of the less popular but still beautiful areas, there are still plenty of places to fly. And really watch the wind, it can change fast and hard. Just look out for the signs and you'll be fine - the drone laws are pretty relaxed outside the high traffic areas. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask, I was there for 3 weeks.

The DJI store in Reyjavik is right on the main drag, you can't miss it, and there is only one. And yes it is the one in your above link.

Hey, I'll be in Iceland for 2 weeks at the end of August, doing the Ring Road. What were your favorite spots to fly?

Thanks! We'll try it!

And thanks a lot for the Iceland hints!

That was our idea, just visit also beautiful areas outside the tourist zones. We'll be there for 2 weeks.
In fact, we did not expect to be able to fly everywhere but where we have the opportunity we will do it.

Hey, I'll be in Iceland for 2 weeks at the end of August, doing the Ring Road. What were your favorite spots to fly?

Thanks! We'll try it!

And thanks a lot for the Iceland hints!

That was our idea, just visit also beautiful areas outside the tourist zones. We'll be there for 2 weeks.
In fact, we did not expect to be able to fly everywhere but where we have the opportunity we will do it.

As soon as you guys get out of the Golden Triangle area, it's WAY less busy. I was there in May of this year and on the East/North I would often drive for 20 minutes without seeing another car. The boutique hotels we stayed in often only had 1-2 other guests. It was fantastic. Reykjavik and area were much, much, busier, but never too bad.

Just off the top of my head, some of the nicer areas you could fly were:

Godafoss (Drive up)
Barnafossar (Drive up)
Bruarfoss (short, very easy 4km hike/walk required - very worth it)
Urriðafoss (Drive up)
Sauðárkrókur and area
Anywhere you can safely pull over that is not in a National Park and not near prominent visitor areas. Lots of areas in the South/South East are gorgeous and there is nobody around.

There were lots of random places I wanted to fly, but couldn't due to wind/rain.

You will probably want to fly, but unfortunately you can NOT fly at all the really famous stops, including:

Seljalandsfoss
Skógafoss
Gullfoss
Svartifoss
Dettifoss
Kirkjufell
Geysir
Anywhere inside Vatnajökull National Park

Anywhere inside Thingvellir National Park (this includes Silfra and Oxararfoss)
Anywhere inside Snæfellsjökull National Park

If you're looking at the suffixes, 'jokull' means glacier and 'foss' means waterfall. You will have waterfall fatigue by the end haha - there just so many, even just on the side of the road as you're driving around.

The "no drone" signs were usually obvious, but sometimes not.

Neither of those are complete lists but it's the best I can do off the top of my head right now.

Also note I could not calibrate my compass anywhere in that entire country, but it was never incorrect (you can check on the map), and it was not an issue whatsoever.

Reactions: Nativel and GarthH
Hi CanadaDron!
Problem solved! We re-linked the remote, did a stick calibration, did a dron claibration and now it works!
Thanks a lot for your help and of course for the Iceland recomendations!!

Hi CanadaDron!
Problem solved! We re-linked the remote, did a stick calibration, did a dron claibration and now it works!
Thanks a lot for your help and of course for the Iceland recomendations!!

Perfect - glad to hear that worked for you. Enjoy your trip, you're going to love it. Feel free to PM me if you end up with any more questions about Iceland.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rahim49