DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC Not Connected to Mobile Device

Flyist

Reactions
Today, 21 Feb 2021, I got a prompt to download firmware and a DJI Fly App update. I don't recall if the firmware was for both my Mini 2 and my Air 2, but I know I did it for the Air 2. Now I get this notification: "RC not connected to mobile device." Both drones have become inoperable. I have tried to connect to both my Mini 2 and Air 2 using (1) an iPad 6th Generation; (2) a Moto G Play 2021; (3) an iPad 1st Generation; (4) a 9.7 inch Lenovo with Octoprocessor.

I have turned the drones off and on. I have rebooted the tablets and phone. I have two different RCs and turned both off and on. Neither RC helps. I only installed the DJI Fly App update on one device, the Moto G, I believe.

When I turn on the MA2 or the Mini 2, I plug the phone/tablet into the RC. Nothing works. I always get the notification highlighted in red.

Because the DJI Fly app was not updated on all the devices, I can only believe the updated firmware caused the malfunction. And because the Mini 2 gives the same notification,"RC not connected to mobile device," its firmware must also have been updated. Other than that I am not sure what caused this. It has the appearance of a virus, whether it is or not.

I'm in a Catch-22. Thinking the firmward improperly installed, I opened the DJI app and click "Check for updates." Of course I get "Aircraft must be connected," which just won't happen. I am in a very expensive limbo.

Solved for MA2. I uninstalled the DJI Fly app, and reinstalled on my iPad 6th Generation. The RC now connects. I will do the same uninstall/reinstall to my phone and other iPad and tablet. The presumed cause: the firmware update caused all apps to malfunction as I only updated one DJI Fly app. I should say partly solved as I can only now use my iPad 6th Gen. No other device works despite uninstall/reinstall.

Not solved for the Mini 2. At first I swapped one fully charged battery for another and I got an RC connection. The Mini 2 said "Takeoff permitted." Now even that doesn't work. The same DJI Fly App on iPad 6th Gen and RC that connects to the Air 2 won't connect to the Mini 2.

Any ideas? As you have read that I have recycled all devices, have tried various phones/tablets, etc., please don't suggest I do that again. You will have noted that I can't complete a "Check for updates."

Last edited:
Is the RC linking to the drone? That does not require a tablet. If not, try relinking the RC to the drone first. I don't recall the process, but you can link without the tablet. Google to find out how for each aircraft.

Is the RC linking to the drone? That does not require a tablet. If not, try relinking the RC to the drone first. I don't recall the process, but you can link without the tablet. Google to find out how for each aircraft.
Thanks for your response. I did a search for direct links/relinking instructions and only found them for the GO 4 app. Maybe DJI Fly has that possibilty but I didn't find any sources. Anyhow, it seems I am back in business after spending the whole afternoon and evening on this. Everything works as it should. I don't recall all my steps and procedures. Some steps/procedures worked, some didn't. but the connection itself does work. I hope my luck holds.

Thanks for your response. I did a search for direct links/relinking instructions and only found them for the GO 4 app. Maybe DJI Fly has that possibilty but I didn't find any sources. Anyhow, it seems I am back in business after spending the whole afternoon and evening on this. Everything works as it should. I don't recall all my steps and procedures. Some steps/procedures worked, some didn't. but the connection itself does work. I hope my luck holds.
All's well that ends well!
The direct linking of the aircraft to the RC is done without the mobile device that it could not connect to. It doesn't require any app. It's done through the RC and the drone only. For future reference, here is how to do it, starting at 1 minute in the timeline.
DJI Mini 2 | How to Link the Remote Controller
Similar for the Air 2.

Reactions: Faster
DJI FLY APP:
CONTROL/CONNECT TO AIRCRAFT PROMPT TO USE BUTTON ON Mini 2 to
connect with a 60-second countdown. The only button on the Mini 2 that
I am aware is a power button to test the battery, turn it on or off.
After 60 seconds.. the linking failed.

When I reviewed DJI website I found pairing described as "Pair to Aircraft" while in the above tab the prompt is "connect to Aircraft:"
I do not find "Pair to aircraft (Link)?"

from DJI site:
"How do I link the DJI Mini 2 aircraft to the remote controller?
[Remote Controller Linking]
Method 1: Connect the DJI Mini 2 aircraft to the mobile device, enter the flight interface in DJI Fly, and tap "Pair to Aircraft (Link)" at the bottom of the interface to enter the linking state;

Method 2: Press and hold the "Customizable Button" on the upper left corner, the "Photo/Video Toggle" on the upper right corner, and the "Shutter/Record Button" on the top panel of the remote controller for two seconds simultaneously. When the remote controller is beeping, and the battery level LEDs on the remote controller are blinking sequentially, you can start linking.

[Aircraft Linking]
When the DJI Mini 2 aircraft is powered on, press and hold the aircraft power button for 4 seconds. When the aircraft is beeping, and the battery level LEDs are blinking sequentially, the aircraft is linking."

Was this helpful or off the mark?

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada