DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC RTH button

Luke147

Reactions
Let's see if I have the correct understanding of the RTH button on the Mavic Air remote control ...
If I want to initiate RTH using the remote control I can press and HOLD the RTH button down on the controler. QUESTION: If I release the button will it abort the original RTH request?

Let's see if I have the correct understanding of the RTH button on the Mavic Air remote control ...
If I want to initiate RTH using the remote control I can press and HOLD the RTH button down on the controler. QUESTION: If I release the button will it abort the original RTH request?
Press and hold till you hear the beeping, it's only a second or two.
Press again to cancel.
The best thing to do is to go to a large, open area and try it out to get experience and gain confidence.
The day you need RTH is not the best day to start learning about it.

Press and hold till you hear the beeping, it's only a second or two.
Press again to cancel.
The best thing to do is to go to a large, open area and try it out to get experience and gain confidence.
The day you need RTH is not the best day to start learning about it.
Thank you for the quick answer! I will try it my next time out!

Two things - first, not sure if this is the same process (Hold / Press RTH) for all DJI drones (I have a M2P) - could someone please clarify this ?. Secondly, I have found when I have used RTH - it does come back home quite near the original landing pad, but never on it - sometime it can be off by as much as twenty feet away. So the trick for me is to use RTM up to a point when I can take over and manually land it. So the take away here is cancel the RTH ( by pressing the RTH) button and take over for manual landing, once its in close range for precision landing. Any thoughts to this process ?. Thanks

Unless you’ve set up precision landing where the drone uses gps to get into the general area then matches its picture of the take off site to land on the same spot, 20 feet would not be unusual for gps accuracy. If you were to turn off wireless on your phone, (smartphones use wireless from phone masts to improve accuracy) and were able to watch the phones gps position you would see it wander.

Thanks, appreciate your response on the precision land concept - however, I am a little confused with your comment on gps and smartphones. I do was of the impression that the M2P does not have any kind of built in gps, and I don’t use my smart phone connected to the remote controller - I use a mini iPad that has no WiFi or Cellualar connection. The mini iPad might well have gps capability irrespective, but this is the first time I’ve heard RTH is somewhat connected with this capability to obtain its gps for RTH purpose ! or are we ‘mudding’ the waters here - please clarify. Secondly, where exactly is the settings on the controller to set precision landings/ take picture of landing site located ?. Many Thanks.

If a drone (mine is an original Mavic Pro) doesn’t have gps it would be using dead reckoning to RTH and this would be very inaccurate. The MP1 has a GPS module and I’d be surprised if the MP2 didn’t. This is where the “homepoint has been recorded” homepoint comes from and the position coordinates that are recorded in the drones logs while flying. An iPad with gps allows you to update the homepoint in flight. So if you walk around your flight site you can send a new home point from the iPad to the drone for it to RTH to.
Precision Landing on the MP1 is initiated when using auto take off. There is a box to tick to set the precision landing routine and you need to take off vertically to 10m to give the bottom vps cameras chance to record the takeoff point.

Last edited:
Thanks, appreciate the update commentary on precision landing with RTH. Understanding how this works on the M2P is important for safe return home. Even if the RTH is cancelled in the final seconds and manual landing is utilized to land. We need to dig into this deeper, as there maybe differences between the MP1 and M2P on how and if GPS is utilized - as well as how these are set. Thanks.

All DJI flying products at least since P3 have GPS. If any product under any brand has RTH, it has GPS.
However precision landing where an image is taken on takeoff is another matter. Unfortunately M2 does not have precision landing ... Yet. Why almost all the Mavics have it EXCEPT the M2, nobody but DJI knows. DJI skipped a lot of functions on the M2 that earlier models had.

GPS has inherent inaccuracies which is why Precision Landing supplements GPS with imaging. But alas, M2 doesn't have precision landing at this time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ctiptonk