DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RC1A Mavic 2 controller side USB port type change?

stuuk

Reactions
Hi
I have a Mavic 2 Pro combo I bought used that has been working perfectly. The only slight niggle is the previous owner didn't have any of the original cables.
He was using a standard data cable in the bottom USB port. Which is the same arrangement i have been using with no issues.

I did notice that the side USB port on the RC1A is a Micro-A i.e. it is the micro usb port with the top rounded corners. I assumed this was standard with the RC1A and it certainly charges fine using that port.

I found a listing on ebay for some mavic 2 spares including a good battery another RC1A controller with a full set of connecting cables. I managed to win this listing for not much more than the price of a battery so was quite happy. These spares were from a Mavic 2 Zoom but i thought aside from the drone the other parts should be identical.

However when it all arrived I noticed immediately that the RC1A controller side USB port was the Micro-B type i.e. the micro usb port that doesn't have rounded corners and all the cable plugs are also Micro-B.

Consequently the cables will not fit in my original RC1A.

You can fit a Micro-A plug into either a Micro-A or Micro-B socket but a Micro-B plug will not fit in a Micro-A socket it will only fit in a Micro-B.

So it seems I now have 2 otherwise identical RC1A controllers but one has a Micro-A socket and the other has a Micro-B socket
Were these changed at some point? or has my original RC1A possibly had a charging port repair and they used the wrong socket?

Cheers Stu UK

Hi
I have a Mavic 2 Pro combo I bought used that has been working perfectly. The only slight niggle is the previous owner didn't have any of the original cables.
He was using a standard data cable in the bottom USB port. Which is the same arrangement i have been using with no issues.

I did notice that the side USB port on the RC1A is a Micro-A i.e. it is the micro usb port with the top rounded corners. I assumed this was standard with the RC1A and it certainly charges fine using that port.

I found a listing on ebay for some mavic 2 spares including a good battery another RC1A controller with a full set of connecting cables. I managed to win this listing for not much more than the price of a battery so was quite happy. These spares were from a Mavic 2 Zoom but i thought aside from the drone the other parts should be identical.

However when it all arrived I noticed immediately that the RC1A controller side USB port was the Micro-B type i.e. the micro usb port that doesn't have rounded corners and all the cable plugs are also Micro-B.

Consequently the cables will not fit in my original RC1A.

You can fit a Micro-A plug into either a Micro-A or Micro-B socket but a Micro-B plug will not fit in a Micro-A socket it will only fit in a Micro-B.

So it seems I now have 2 otherwise identical RC1A controllers but one has a Micro-A socket and the other has a Micro-B socket
Were these changed at some point? or has my original RC1A possibly had a charging port repair and they used the wrong socket?

Cheers Stu UK
I don't have an answer to your question, but I think you've got the terminology mixed up. Micro-A, a pretty rare port/plug, is basically rectangular (possibly rounded very slightly due to manufacturing constraints but basically all square corners). Micro-B is curved or beveled on the top, and is the far more common port.

For what it's worth, both of my M2P controllers have Micro-A on the side, as has every one I've ever seen. If you've got one with Micro-B that's interesting and I'm curious if anyone else has seen this. It would be a better design because it's fairly easy to insert a B into an A port upside down and damage the port, though I understand this is a factor of the controller needing an A port to serve as host.

Can you post a pic of a controller with a Micro-B port?

Ok I have now been told the controller was repaired at a phone shop and as they didn't have Micro-A sockets they decided to use the Micro-B sockets they had in stock!
I guess its no big deal as I can use that controller as the 2nd controller and use the bottom usb port

Ok I have now been told the controller was repaired at a phone shop and as they didn't have Micro-A sockets they decided to use the Micro-B sockets they had in stock!
I guess its no big deal as I can use that controller as the 2nd controller and use the bottom usb port
That’s good news you can still use the bottom USB port, ,that’s my preferred port using an iPad. Never cared for the side port, Only used this side port for cell phone and even then too flimsy always felt was a matter of time it would get damaged.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7