DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Recommendations Please

thechev

Reactions
OK, I'm ready to buy my Air 3 Combo and would appreciate some recommendations on which controller to order. I'm pretty well up there in years, and my eyesight is certainly not what it used to be. I want to order the Air 3 with RC2 controller because of its high nit count, but I'm afraid the screen is just too small for these old eyes. I currently have an original Mavic Air and I use an Ipad Air, which has been great, but it's old generation and won't run the DJI Fly app, or so I've been told. Do any of you know what newer Ipad Air would run the app and also give me great daytime outdoor full sun viewing? My budget definitely won't support the Tripletek. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My budget definitely won't support the Tripletek.
Sad you can't pick up the Tripletek. I use it with all my fleet and it's great.

Reactions: sarahb
Yeah... I'd truly love to have the Tripletek, but I'm retired, on a fixed income, and I'm only a recreational UAV pilot so there's no payback for a high-end monitor.

I am just a few years younger than you and find the RC2 to be fine...I do have the sun visor and control stick protector on it and that does help a bit...I would try getting the dji fly app onto that ipad before just conceding
I tried, even updated to the latest version of firmware for my generation iPad, but it said I had to have a higher version to download and run dji fly.

• Sad
Reactions: MARK (LI)
Ideally you want a drone compatible with the RC Pro, like the Mavic 3 or the Mini 3, where you can HDMI out to virtually any screen or device, even a RV headset, a big and bright field monitor, a projector, whatever. All can be purchased second hand.

Else you are limited Android/IOS devices that can run the Fly App and are bright enough to be used in the exterior without covering yourself with a cloth (like photographers did long time ago). On the other hand, the standard RC-N1 controller with a tablet attached to it becomes very heavy, clumsy and unusable.

You can find a second hand RC pro by half the price these days, same for the Mavic 3 or the Mini 3, plus a bright field monitor is way cheaper than a tablet of the same size, and you can just mount it on a tripod in front of you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cafguy
Ideally you want a drone compatible with the RC Pro, like the Mavic 3 or the Mini 3, where you can HDMI out to virtually any screen or device, even a RV headset, a big and bright field monitor, a projector, whatever. All can be purchased second hand.

Else you are limited Android/IOS devices that can run the Fly App and are bright enough to be used in the exterior without covering yourself with a cloth (like photographers did long time ago). On the other hand, the standard RC-N1 controller with a tablet attached to it becomes very heavy, clumsy and unusable.

You can find a second hand RC pro by half the price these days, same for the Mavic 3 or the Mini 3, plus a bright field monitor is way cheaper than a tablet of the same size, and you can just mount it on a tripod in front of you.
Thanks for the response. Problem is, I'm pretty sold on the Air 3 and it's my understanding that the RC Pro won't work with the Air 3.

OK, I'm ready to buy my Air 3 Combo and would appreciate some recommendations on which controller to order. I'm pretty well up there in years, and my eyesight is certainly not what it used to be. I want to order the Air 3 with RC2 controller because of its high nit count, but I'm afraid the screen is just too small for these old eyes. I currently have an original Mavic Air and I use an Ipad Air, which has been great, but it's old generation and won't run the DJI Fly app, or so I've been told. Do any of you know what newer Ipad Air would run the app and also give me great daytime outdoor full sun viewing? My budget definitely won't support the Tripletek. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I would 110% recommend the V71 Pro from EagleViewAerials.
I own a TriplTek 8 Pro and a V71 Pro. The V71Pro is a better tablet for the money!

An iPad Mini 5 or 6 (for sure) should fit your needs if you decide to go that route. I run an iPad Mini 5 on my Air 2S and it runs flawlessly.

Are they good in direct sunlight without a hood?
They are going to be about the same as your older iPad Mini but you can pick them up for a reasonable cost. In direct sunlight you will probably need a hood.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078