DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote controller - better ergonomics with tablet mounted

Reactions
Wanted to share how my remote controller ergonomics were improved with a piece of plastic. I prefer the improved visibility of larger tablet (in my case the Lenovo Tab4 8 works will and is quite bright). I also prefer mounting it so that I can still see my sticks and RC readout (sold by Drone Pit Stop on Amazon). The fold-out grips on the RC make reasonably good handles but the resulting rig is a bit top-heavy
. IMG_7024 top heavy s.jpg

So I scrounged some used 1/4-inch plexiglas and cut it to fit, rounded the corners and glued a piece of split rubber tubing to the "body side" for comfort. Test fit photo:
IMG_7126 s.jpg

The grip ergonomics are greatly improved - and you have a place to put things, like post-it notes.

It also gave me a place to put a power bank. I noted elsewhere that my Lenovo Tab4 8 treats the RC as a charging source and drains it faster than I would prefer. The power bank is mounted underneath the plate with velcro. A $20 bank (5000 mAh, Tzumi 6583 from Best Buy) worked great - after a long, cold (45 oF) day with repeated flights (6 x 20 minutes), the Tzumi kept the RC at 100%, the tablet was 76%, and the Tzumi still had 25% charge left.

The power bank also improved the balance of the RC/tablet rig. I use a lanyard attached between the tablet and RC, and the power bank adds no perceived weight since it counterbalances the tablet. I can also set the rig down without it wanting to tip over. Here it is in action - I will add some right-angle USB cables to clean up the connections in the future.
IMG_7128 s.jpg

Wanted to share how my remote controller ergonomics were improved with a piece of plastic. I prefer the improved visibility of larger tablet (in my case the Lenovo Tab4 8 works will and is quite bright). I also prefer mounting it so that I can still see my sticks and RC readout (sold by Drone Pit Stop on Amazon). The fold-out grips on the RC make reasonably good handles but the resulting rig is a bit top-heavy
. View attachment 84970

So I scrounged some used 1/4-inch plexiglas and cut it to fit, rounded the corners and glued a piece of split rubber tubing to the "body side" for comfort. Test fit photo:
View attachment 84971

The grip ergonomics are greatly improved - and you have a place to put things, like post-it notes.

It also gave me a place to put a power bank. I noted elsewhere that my Lenovo Tab4 8 treats the RC as a charging source and drains it faster than I would prefer. The power bank is mounted underneath the plate with velcro. A $20 bank (5000 mAh, Tzumi 6583 from Best Buy) worked great - after a long, cold (45 oF) day with repeated flights (6 x 20 minutes), the Tzumi kept the RC at 100%, the tablet was 76%, and the Tzumi still had 25% charge left.

The power bank also improved the balance of the RC/tablet rig. I use a lanyard attached between the tablet and RC, and the power bank adds no perceived weight since it counterbalances the tablet. I can also set the rig down without it wanting to tip over. Here it is in action - I will add some right-angle USB cables to clean up the connections in the future.
View attachment 84972
Nice. I might experiment with that. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: FieldResearcher
How is the RC communicating with the tablet?

Clever setup - I like it. You might want to check the Lenovo Tab4 8 to see if it has a setting that allows you to change the function of the USB port from "charge this device" to something else like "MIDI". This will stop the RC from charging the Lenovo and would save you from having to include the power bank.

Clever setup - I like it. You might want to check the Lenovo Tab4 8 to see if it has a setting that allows you to change the function of the USB port from "charge this device" to something else like "MIDI". This will stop the RC from charging the Lenovo and would save you from having to include the power bank.

Thanks. I tried other settings for the connection but it reverts each time the screen sleeps and needs to be woken up (!). The Lenovo seems more opaque for dealing with settings like that compared to my old Samsung Galaxy.

Reactions: deleted member 877
USB cable plugged into bottom RC port is connected to tablet. Note that this works best with good cables. I have tried others that didn't connect well.

The power bank is connected to RC's side miniUSB port.
I'll have to give that a try. I was under the impression from earlier conversations that you couldn't plug anything into the side miniUSB port while using the bottom USB port. I use the bottom port for my CS display and the RC discharges pretty quickly. Thanks for posting this.

I'll have to give that a try. I was under the impression from earlier conversations that you couldn't plug anything into the side miniUSB port while using the bottom USB port. I use the bottom port for my CS display and the RC discharges pretty quickly. Thanks for posting this.

I hope it works for you. I wonder if different power banks would yield different responses. Mine worked all 6 flights and my kitchen test run (the RC/tablet, not the Mavic!) the night before.

Mavic 2 RC with CS550 mounted with evolution3d mount. Second is with power bank velcroed to the underside of the evolution3d mount.

Attachments

• IMG_0081.JPG
    IMG_0081.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 56
  • With power bank.JPG
    With power bank.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
Nice neat installation
Thanks. I had been using a PolarPro Flight Deck but I wanted to be able to see both screens at the same time so I switched to the Evolution3d Mavic mount and I love it. I use an Anbee dual shoulder neck strap sling lanyard to hold it all.

. View attachment 84970

View attachment 84971

View attachment 84972
i use a tablet myself but keep it back from the antenna so i don’t block them,the front part of the paddle opposite the rc is sending the drone the signal needed to control it,with the way your tablet is positioned on the rc you cannot get the paddles back enough,the tablet holder i use is in the same place as where your plastic is now.

You can point your antenna to the ground, and then you have a good signal, since the paddles emanate a signal each side of the flat part and not just on one side, I believe. They don't have to be only in the upright position, they can be all the way up or all the way down.

What holder are you using and how sturdy is it? Nice mod by the way!!
It was from Drone Pit Stop on Amazon and has been quite sturdy despite being light. It snap clips on the RC - you develop a feel for getting it on and off. Holds my tablet well if you squeeze the sliding part down snugly. I attached a paracord lanyard loop to it that I clip my neck strap onto.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada