DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID / Flight over people

noahpk

Reactions
The new rules go into effect starting march 17th.

It seems like, depending on category, kinetic energy from a falling UAV needs to be reduced to 25 ft/lbs or less. So, most drones would require a parachute to get to those levels. To operate as category 2 or 3, a remote pilot will have to submit a declaration of compliance to the FAA, which would then need to be reviewed and approved by the FAA before being eligible to conduct operations in those categories. I'm assuming (and hoping) that the FAA will allow these submissions through dronezone on the date the rules go into effect. I'm wondering if the parachutes will need to be certified by the FAA, or if we can use any available parachute system.

In other threads I saw that the Mavic has a terminal velocity of around 45mph, give or take. To reduce kinetic energy to 25 ft/lb(category 3), the speed needs to be reduced to ~19mph. for 11 ft/lbs (category 2) the speed needs to be reduced to ~12mph. Are any available parachute systems reaching these figures? I can't seem to find much information about them.

The DJI mini 2 with propeller guards is just barely over the required weight for category 1 operations. For now, it seems like the only way to comply with category 1 will be to build a smaller drone.

The new rules go into effect starting march 17th.

It seems like, depending on category, kinetic energy from a falling UAV needs to be reduced to 25 ft/lbs or less. So, most drones would require a parachute to get to those levels. To operate as category 2 or 3, a remote pilot will have to submit a declaration of compliance to the FAA, which would then need to be reviewed and approved by the FAA before being eligible to conduct operations in those categories. I'm assuming (and hoping) that the FAA will allow these submissions through dronezone on the date the rules go into effect. I'm wondering if the parachutes will need to be certified by the FAA, or if we can use any available parachute system.

In other threads I saw that the Mavic has a terminal velocity of around 45mph, give or take. To reduce kinetic energy to 25 ft/lb(category 3), the speed needs to be reduced to ~19mph. for 11 ft/lbs (category 2) the speed needs to be reduced to ~12mph. Are any available parachute systems reaching these figures? I can't seem to find much information about them.

The DJI mini 2 with propeller guards is just barely over the required weight for category 1 operations. For now, it seems like the only way to comply with category 1 will be to build a smaller drone.
This is one of the things we're worried about at the FAA Safety Team.

There are a few things wrong with your post. And you're very likely not alone. We are expecting a lot of confusion later this month.

First, the new rules go into effect on 3/16/21. And that's assuming the DOT doesn't delay them again.

And Remote ID (RID) goes into effect on 9/16/23. So that is quite a ways off.

But as far as Ops Over People(OOP), you have a few things wrong.

On 3/16, the only drones allowed to fly over people are Category 1 drones. And as you said, all of them need to be under 250g, and not have any "rotating parts that will lacerate human skin". And even with those drones, you can't fly over open air assemblies (games, concerts, construction sites, etc.) until your drone is RID compliant.

Category 1 drones will be "certified" by the RPIC. SO we can decide if they fit the criteria. But the only DJI drone that fits that category right now is the Tello. You can buy Japanese batteries for the Mini and fly with prop guards. But those batteries are very hard to get, and not certified for import into the US at the moment. I know someone who had another person buy them in Japan and ship them to him, but it was very expensive. He did it for a test. Not to fly over people.

Category 2 & 3 drones must be certified by the manufacturer. And those won't like be seen on the market until Q1 2022 at the earliest, and more likely Q2.

Category 4 drones are a subject in and of themselves, so I won't bother going into those.

Also, and this is very important, in order to take advantage of the OOP and/or new Night Op rules, you must take the online recurrent training at www.faasafety.gov if you're already a 107, or an initial 107 test at a PSI testing center to fly under the new rules. And those won't be available until 3/16/21.

If you have any other questions, we have a good set of articles and timelines here: Newsroom – Drone Service Providers Alliance

(Admin approved link)

Dang, thanks for all the clarification. I guess I’ll need to reread the rules a few more times .
No worries, that's why I'm here. We do have some good articles in the link above if you don't want to dig through the actual rules. Those are pretty dry reading...

No worries, that's why I'm here. We do have some good articles in the link above if you don't want to dig through the actual rules. Those are pretty dry reading...
Vic,

I believe a lot of others had the mistaken idea, they would be able to just go fly over people without problems.
Rules and rose bushes look nice from a distance, but often up close you find the thorns.

So, the FAA makes "some" changes, but it doesn't really benefit anyone. Sounds like typical government bureaucracy at its worst. Been there and did that with 20 years in the military - so know all about that kind of stuff.

So, the FAA makes "some" changes, but it doesn't really benefit anyone. Sounds like typical government bureaucracy at its worst. Been there and did that with 20 years in the military - so know all about that kind of stuff.
These new rules make some huge strides in relaxing UAS rules.

First, after someone takes the new online training, they can fly at night without having to go through the brain damage of applying for a waiver.

Second, after someone takes the new online training, they can fly Ops Over People (OOP) without a waiver. It is extremely limited at first, but after a few months, manufacturers will start certifying their drones for Category 2 and Category 3 OOP flights. Even now (after training on 3/16), you can fly some drones over people. Very limited for sure, but it's possible.

Third, and probably the best part, the Unmanned Ground Recurrent (UGR) test is going away. Again, after 3/16, you no longer have to sign up and go to a PSI testing center, shell out $165, and spend an hour or two in a small room taking the test. And you no longer have to spend time studying for the test.

After 3/16 you'll go to www.faasafety.gov and simply take a free, online training class. No studying, no driving to a test site, and no test. It's training.

And it's free!

If you truly feel that this is "typical government bureaucracy at its worst", you haven't been paying attention.

Read the articles on the Newsroom in the link at DSPA above. It will help you understand what the new rules are.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS