DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID receivers

hopeful21

Reactions
I don't know which post to attach this to, so I'll start one. Moderators please feel free to correct if it suits.

There have been quite a lot of posts on this subject, but things have moved on since I had Dave's, of MileHighDroneServices email today.

I have seen the video advertising the new remote ID receivers. These units are cheap, and, when they are more freely available will allow anyone, including the anti-droners, to have information in real-time on a drone's position, speed, height, course and, additionally, the lat/long of the pilot.

I don't imagine for a moment that there will be many people going equipped with this technology, but, unlike Aeroscope stationary, or mobile units, the price of a Remote ID Receiver unit is now very low, and may lead to more confrontations with people than we have had in the past. Or don't you think so?

I am interested to know what the opinion of members will be, based on the fact that I understand too many members have already had negative contacts with anti-droners, and even the police, certainly, as displayed by auditors videos.

Will it cramp our style too much do you think, or can it only be a good thing for safety?

I also understand that there is anti Remote ID being developed. I don't know what the current situation is with this in regard to drones generally, or DJI in particular.

Your input is welcome if you know more. Experts particularly invited.
For more info try this link FAA Remote ID Compliance User Guide-FAQ
and this one

The thing with RID is that you can't anticipate. You will never know who is listening to your location, ID and telemetry, and their purpose, till they approach.

It's quite logical to assume that no one will track your drone unless he wants to harass you, rob you, fine you or send you the cops. And remember that RID receiver apps don't come with rule and drone legislation understandment, so flying within the rules won't prevent any confrontation.

Although I usually fly from fenced private property, I've been approached by a total of three karens in 1778 flights, so for me, it's been 0.017 karens every 10 flights, but I know I've upset dozens of people because my drone has appeared in some local Facebook groups because I was innocent enough to fly my drones at night without covering the LEDs with electric tape (wich also prevents idiots from laser pointing your drone).

I see it going up to 0.5 or even 1 karen every 10 flights easily after RID gets promoted on mass media past September 2023.

And yep, my drone shouldn't be emitting RID in Europe yet, but it's actually emitting and can be catched by OpenDroeID app. Even <250g that don't need to emit RID in Europe like the Mini 3, are emitting RID atm.

The thing with RID is that you can't anticipate. You will never know who is listening to your location, ID and telemetry, and their purpose, till they approach.

It's quite logical to assume that no one will track your drone unless he wants to harass you, rob you, fine you or send you the cops. And remember that RID receiver apps don't come with rule and drone legislation understandment, so flying within the rules won't prevent any confrontation.

Although I usually fly from fenced private property, I've been approached by a total of three karens in 1778 flights, so for me, it's been 0.017 karens every 10 flights, but I know I've upset dozens of people because my drone has appeared in some local Facebook groups because I was innocent enough to fly my drones at night without covering the LEDs with electric tape (wich also prevents idiots from laser pointing your drone).

I see it going up to 0.5 or even 1 karen every 10 flights easily after RID gets promoted on mass media past September 2023.

And yep, my drone shouldn't be emitting RID in Europe yet, but it's actually emitting and can be catched by OpenDroeID app. Even <250g that don't need to emit RID in Europe like the Mini 3, are emitting RID atm.
And that is three karens too many,It should be no karens.

I updated my Mavic three without realizing it would install remote ID. I have four other drones, and none of them will be updated any further.

How do I know if Remote ID was installed?

How do I know if Remote ID was installed?

In 2017, Walter Stockwell, Director of Technical Standards at DJI, stated this in regard to Remote ID:

“We have this built into our c2 links for our wireless protocols. Any DJI drone now on the market can be detected by this method… This is really ready, now. We have this packet implemented in our devices… We have receivers developed, built and deployed… they are collecting data as we speak on drones within broadcast range."

According to Department 13 "White Paper: Anatomy of DJI’s Drone Identification Implementation,"
published in November, 2017:

"Currently, two DJI products include Wi-Fi: the Mavic and the Spark. A cursory glance through archived firmware provided by the DJI Slack Reverse engineering group indicates that DJI implemented the Drone ID features on Mavic in mid-July, 2017."

In 2017, Walter Stockwell, Director of Technical Standards at DJI, stated this in regard to Remote ID:

“We have this built into our c2 links for our wireless protocols. Any DJI drone now on the market can be detected by this method… This is really ready, now. We have this packet implemented in our devices… We have receivers developed, built and deployed… they are collecting data as we speak on drones within broadcast range."

According to Department 13 "White Paper: Anatomy of DJI’s Drone Identification Implementation,"
published in November, 2017:

"Currently, two DJI products include Wi-Fi: the Mavic and the Spark. A cursory glance through archived firmware provided by the DJI Slack Reverse engineering group indicates that DJI implemented the Drone ID features on Mavic in mid-July, 2017."

He was talking about Aeroscope, which has been a reality in Spain since 2018 with 80+ "witch hunter" patrols on the territory.

Start the motors of any DJI drone in Madrid or BCN, which have fixed Aeroscope antennas, and just wait for it.

I don't know what might happen but I assume few people will bother enough to know they can look for the information about the drone. Sure, there will be some, but unless you're making someone mad most people wont even know you were there. There are people that are mad about pretty much anything you can think of. The trade off, I suppose, will be the possibility of BVLOS legal flight which to be honest many people do already. I doubt everyone all the time can see their drone and so with this you will have more oppertunity but if I had my pick, I would maintain VLOS rules and no remote ID but the FAA is under pressure to find a way to know who the idiot is that is hovering over the game or whatever the case might be. If anything, my hope is drones will continue the trend of getting quieter so people hardly know they are there. You can get around pretty easy with my mini 3 pro, even just above you it can be hard to detect looking for it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zack400