DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Remote ID sooner than anticipated?

I’m not really a betting person, but I’d certainly take a bet on this being an impossible timeframe.
Think we could talk the Vegas guys into setting that bet up?
I’m in for 1k.

Reactions: dawgpilot
The FAA hasn't been been able to implement a recreational test in a timely manner even though Congress mandated it in the fall of 2018.

Reactions: Thomas B
What has the knowledge test have to do with this topic regarding remote ID?

It shows how slowly the FAA has been able to move on even simple tasks like creating a test. Remote ID is a magnitude more complex to implement.

Here’s an interesting article that provides an update and some insight into why remote ID is vital as the industry further expands into delivery beyond VLOS and integrating drones into the national airspace.

The FAA’s recent Remote ID proposal therefore marks a critical step forward. Remote ID is incredibly important as it ensures that federal, state, and local agencies, as well as the general public, have a means of identifying aircraft in order to encourage responsible behavior and investigate incidents. Once finalized, these remote ID rules will enable the continued evolution of the UAS industry and open the door to immeasurable benefits for American citizens, consumers, and business.

Sounds like they're all for Amazon deliveries and forget the hobbyists.

ADS-B system’s first private planes is very expensive and there have been reliability issues, I believe.

Ok, so my question is.....will non-compliant older UAS be grandfathered in, or will they suddenly be outlawed? Like many out there, I recently invested in a DJI drone, what I consider to be a significant sum of money. Will I have only a year to fly it, then be an outlaw? They're talking about a dual system of communication, a transponder, and cellular capability. That sounds like too much to retrofit older drones to compliance. Better get out there and do a lot of flyin' now, before it's too late.

Ok, so my question is.....will non-compliant older UAS be grandfathered in, or will they suddenly be outlawed? Like many out there, I recently invested in a DJI drone, what I consider to be a significant sum of money. Will I have only a year to fly it, then be an outlaw? They're talking about a dual system of communication, a transponder, and cellular capability. That sounds like too much to retrofit older drones to compliance. Better get out there and do a lot of flyin' now, before it's too late.
I believe we need only look back to last year when FAA was trying to implement LAANC. One day you could fly. The next day these draconian regulators banned all flying, except for selective locations. That is exactly the sort of government overreach I expect from FAA in regards to Remote ID. YES, fly as much as you can.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kento1328