DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Replacing Mavic 2 camera

Smartypants2

Reactions
I have a Mavic 2 zoom and want to exchange the camera to the mavic 2 camera. I have found you can buy it and do this yourself. I called DJI in the states (California) they said that they do not exchange the cameras on the drone. I have read that you can pay to have DJI do this but I don't know how to get it done

I was planning on doing this when the warrentee is over (I believe that it is one year).

Does anybody have any comments on doing this?

Thanks in advance
Marty

I started out with the M2P, but really wanted a zoom feature. I went on Amazon and purchased a zoom camera for $320.00. It was an easy exchange, there are several videos on YouTube that show you what to do. One point I did not hear made on any of the video, but something I have learned to do when working with small parts (the screws) is to do your work over a large white towel. If you get a case of butterfingers, the dropped part does not take off on you, potentially causing a real PITA.

One caution, the connector for the camera is a snap on. Release it gently, and be sure to get it lined up well, before you snap it back in place. Like some other threads I have read, this connector I don't think was designed for a lot of off / on's. I have kept my Pro camera both as a backup, and if I ever really get into the higher end photo's. To me the zoom camera takes great pictures and the zoom feature really comes in handy for my work, which is the primary function for my M2.

What he does at the 38s mark, be extremely careful prying that connector up. His looks like it has been pried before, so comes up easily. Sometimes they dont "pop" up and you can easilt damage your ribbon connector, or worse, your core board connector which will cost you $300 to replace.

Take your time with it!

Luckily, the OP has vast experience with micro electronics repair, so is probably good to go.

Reactions: CJH92474 and ff22
to add to above - dji used steel bolts that go into brass nuts in the plastic housing. use a little bit of blue loctite when you put it all back and be extremely careful - tighten with 2 fingers only and do not over tight. if you strip those nuts - it means also same $300 for a core board replacement. overall, whole assembly there was not designed in the anticipation of being taken apart often. overall procedure is very basic, but, parts used are not robust at all,so, be very gentle.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143