DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Returning to a specific GPS location?

L98ster

Reactions
Hi everyone,

I am trying to get time lapse photos of my swimming pools water clearing up. I have a great overhead ohoto of the dirty water, and would like to return to the exact same spot to continue taking photos periodically throughout the day. Is there a way to record the exact location of the drone so I could return to it for more photos. Ultimately, I would like to record position, altitude and orientation so when I stitch the photos together it looks seamless. Thanks!

I’m using a mavic pro, DJI go4 app on an iPhone XS

Use Litchi. You can set the flight to the specific GPS location and altitude and even point of interest (for gimbal angle) and tell it to hover when complete. Then switch to Go4 or whatever app you use for the time lapse while still hovering in that same location.

How high do you need to be to get a suitable shot?
Aside from 'relying on GPS' the following has come to mind.
When the drone is positioned correctly put markers on the ground so that they just appear in the corners of the shot or, if the Mavic pro can show a composition grid, at grid intersection points. For subsequent shots line those markers up with their corresponding points in the photo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MA2 317
How high do you need to be to get a suitable shot?
Aside from relying on GPS the following has come to mind.
When the drone is positioned correctly put markers on the ground so that they just appear in the corners of the shot or, if the Mavic pro can show a composition grid, at grid intersection points. For subsequent shots line those markers up with their corresponding points in the photo.

I did the same thing with my Spark years ago for a two week photo shoot.

I went to the same altitude, swung the camera down to line up the markers, and then tilted the camera to my subject.

Reminds me of aerial photography for maps before satellites were available. Survey crews would go out and paint white angled lines and crosses on the road in places to line these markers up and get the big picture.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929