DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Risk Management for Over Water Operations

Know how to fly your drone in ATTI Mode. This knowledge protects you when gps fails, optical sensors get false reasons, EMI messes with your signals, etc. Flying a drone in ATTI mode is very similar to flying an RC helicopter, it requires coordination and precision finger controls. Learning it will make you a better pilot.

Reactions: LowCountryFlyer
Just flew three days along the San Diego Coast, with 90% of it over the water or right a long the edge. Was a little nervous at first, but your pre-flight thoughts are dead on. Prepare and enjoy the flight, the footage you will get is breath taking! Also, I used two Firehouse Arc ll strobes, what a difference they made in VLOS, being able to always see your drone provides a lot of comfort.

If I'm going to flying extensively over water I'll add the "Get-er-back" system just to be able to retrieve the airframe and maybe salvage the SD card.

If I'm just randomly flying over a portion of water (say for instance crossing a river or pond etc) I just fly normal and don't give it a 2nd thought.

The only sUAS I've lost since 2013 was one I lost in our local lake when I had a battery cell deviation error and had to pick an off-site landing area where there were no people.. Unfortunately the area was below a line of trees (a forest actually) and while descending to land lost Tx to Rx signal and initiated a RTH. My RTH settings were less than the 100 year old Oak trees and the RTH took the aircraft into the trees and it then tumbled into the lake.

I retrieved it 16 months later (they lowered the lake for dam repair) but of course it was a total loss. Sadly the SD card had some one-off photos from an event I had shot that morning that could not be re-shot. Oh well.
View attachment 69895

View attachment 69896

View attachment 69897
Fixable!

• Haha
Reactions: BigAl07
I fly low over swift flowing water to help a water rescue team and have invested in water landing floats and a repair insurance policy. The floats are only there as a life vest so it will not sink until I can get to it, (I fly with a dry suit on).

If you are planning to fly over water often, I suggest you check with your local State Farm insurance agent to get some peace of mind in case it does end up swimming. I have my whole fleet of 4 drones covered for $60 a year.

Step one should be learn to know your drone in a safe environment over land.
Know how much delay is between where the drone is and what is shown on the screen.
Make sure obstacle avoidance is working (no sports mode) and of course the GPS reception is good and home point has been set to a piece of land.
For the rest, have fun like me in our epic roadtrip in Iceland 2017
and our Iceland holiday in 2018: (water from 3:08 onward)
P.S. I violated some rules in this article...

Last edited:
Most of my flights are over water. Recently we've been shooting sailboat races and exploring more launching and retrieval from moving boats using a Ribcraft 6.8 and a 34' Trimaran. I wouldn't want to attempt it alone. Typically we've had a 3 person crew. PIC, catcher/observer, & someone skippering the boat. So far it has been in relatively calm conditions < 2' seas and low swell. PIC flies it in matching boat speed with sensors off. Second person acts as catcher. Gloves are an excellent idea. I ended up with a relatively painless but very bloody finger from one catch. Thinking about adding a carbon fiber handle attached to the MP2. Something along the line of 6"-8". That would hopefully facilitate a safer retrieval under more extreme conditions. Also have thoughts about an open netted cage for emergency landings. Fly it as close as we can matching boat speed and cut power. It might cost a prop but better than losing the drone. Lots of experimentation and practice.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78