DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rookie Question (but a good one.)

DanielCreed3

Reactions
So, I have had this question for some time but cannot really find a solid answer. I live in a very mountainous region, Western North Carolina near Asheville, and would like to launch off of a mountain cliff into the valleys below for some footage. Or conversely, launch from a valley and fly up the mountainside. My question is, will this affect my preset AGL altitude parameters? In other words, if I fly off of a cliff but the valley below is 300' below where I launched, will my MM drop significantly to reflect the new AGL altitude or affect the 400' ceiling limit? I hope this makes sense...

You will be able to climb to an altitude of 400 above the altitude that you took off from, assuming there are no Airspace restrictions. When you descend into the valley, your altitude will be displaying a negative number. That's the simple explanation.

if I fly off of a cliff but the valley below is 300' below where I launched, will my MM drop significantly to reflect the new AGL altitude or affect the 400' ceiling limit? I hope this makes sense...
Two points.
1. It's a flying machine, not a following the ground level machine.
2. Your drone has no way to tell how far below the ground is, it could be 30 feet or 3000 feet and the drone wouldn't know (or care).

Last edited:
To answer your question no it will not drop. ?
Welcome to the forum.?

You will be able to climb to an altitude of 400 above the altitude that you took off from, assuming there are no Airspace restrictions. When you descend into the valley, your altitude will be displaying a negative number. That's the simple explanation.
That makes perfect, simple sense to me. Thank you!

Actually the absolute ceiling for the mini is 500m above the homepoint, that's encoded into the software on the drone.
The 400ft/122m ceiling a 'law' thing and a limit used in several countries. In the mini you can literally and metaphorically brush it aside.
In the UK the 400ft ceiling is an above ground level limit which means, PROVIDING the drone is never more than 400ft above the ground directly beneath the drone during the flight, you could, legally, fly up the side of a mountain until you hit the software limit in the drone of 500m. The drone could go legally go higher but the DJI limit prevents it.
Conversely, if you launched from the top of that mountain and flew away from the mountain you would have to descend as you flew away in order to stay within 400ft of the ground etc.etc.
Be aware if you go below the home point the height you see on the screen will be negative and remember the climb back up uses quite a bit of power

Last edited by a moderator:
In other words, if I fly off of a cliff but the valley below is 300' below where I launched, will my MM drop significantly to reflect the new AGL altitude

No, because the drone height is calculated relative to the the take-off point, not height AGL (which you are responsible for).

Actually the absolute ceiling for the mini is 500m above the homepoint, that's encoded into the software on the drone.
The 400ft/122m ceiling a 'law' thing and a limit used in several countries. In the mini you can literally and metaphorically brush it aside.
In the UK the 400ft ceiling is an above ground level limit which means, PROVIDING the drone is never more than 400ft above the ground directly beneath the drone during the flight, you could, legally, fly up the side of a mountain until you hit the software limit in the drone of 500m. The drone could go legally go higher but the DJI limit prevents it.
Conversely, if you launched from the top of that mountain and flew away from the mountain you would have to descend as you flew away in order to stay within 400ft of the ground etc.etc.
Be aware if you go below the home point the height you see on the screen will be negative and remember the climb back up uses quite a bit of power
Ok, it makes sense to me now that the "altimeter" is set to the homepoint at time of launch. There are some amazing cliffs and rock faces here and I didn't want to launch off of one and my MM suddenly drop to maintain the preset AGL altitude. Your answer is very helpful. Thank you!

Reactions: THE CYBORG
No, because the drone height is calculated relative to the the take-off point, not height AGL (which you are responsible for).
"Relative to the take-off point." That solves my problem! You would think that should be common knowledge lol. Thank you for your help!

Also just as a tip, if you start flying at the bottom of the mountain, land it higher up on the mountain & wait a few seconds, it will reset your takeoff altitude to where it's landed temporarily. It will help you reach the peak if that was your desire.

Also just as a tip, if you start flying at the bottom of the mountain, land it higher up on the mountain & wait a few seconds, it will reset your takeoff altitude to where it's landed temporarily. It will help you reach the peak if that was your desire.
And the home point so that will have to be reset to the correct location after take off

Welcome!

I am not aware the MM 500m limit. I fly a MP and often set the max altitude above 400ft to fly up elevated countryside or peaks. I will test 500m at some point

Where I live you can fly within 100m of a land mass The AGL is the top
So flying down a face is quite legal so long as you stay within 100m. Drift too far out and you can breach the 400’ AGL rule.

Watch for wind and drafts around cliffs and have enough battery at the end of your mission to climb back.

Finally it is possible to get disoriented and or start losing signal. The video can become jumpy and visual navigation can become difficult. As always stop and take a breath. Slowly orientate to a clear direction and head for blue sky and a clear signal.

I must admit negative altitude on the controller feels weird.

Enjoy!

So if you can go 500 higher than the homepoint does that mean if you were at the bottom of the cliff and changed the homepoint to the top you would now technically be able to fly 500” above the cliff (im not talking in legal sense in talking in drone restrictions/abilities) like if u wanted to fly above a 600 ft mountain from the bottom and the drone will stop itself at 500 (legally 400 is max I know) but if you changed homepoint to the top of the mountain temporarily would that now allow the drone to pass the 500’ restriction.. and its not something I would do or recommend because if u lose signal and rth lands it on a 600ft mountain lol just curious what/ the drone would Respond to changing the homepoint to a homepoint of different elevation or is it based on the launch and not homepoint

You could but how are you going to change your homepoint.
You would have to land, shut off the drone and start back up.

You could but how are you going to change your homepoint.
You would have to land, shut off the drone and start back up.
No u can change the home point to any place on map and drone will register and go to it I have used it for a waypoint as long as you change it before it is in the landing sequence it works I scanned a relatives land by setting hone to middle and launch from the corners it allowed me to fly without signal being a factor set it 6km away and activate rth and it will go as far as battery will allow.. it is risky to use as a waypoint because if u lose signal it will go to the changed spot but change the honepontt anytime during flight is easy and it could help you get out of a Certain type of sticky situation if used right

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maller0374