DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RPIC Duties

Les Grossman

Reactions
In my examples below, who can act as RPIC of the mission? Bonus points if it can be explained through citing regulations... I understand that 107.12 basically states that as long as a person with a 107 is within arms reach of taking control of the UAS, you can let someone without a 107 fly, but can that same thought process apply to training student pilots and Internal + External Pilot duties?

Scenario 1

There are two individuals with Part 107's conducting flight operations. Person 1 is in a van (enclosed area) at the Ground Control Station (no LOS), and Person 2 is outside of the van (within LOS) with an RC. Both can manipulate the UAS.

Question: Can Person 1 act as the RPIC?

Scenario 2

A student is getting trained on a new platform and holds a part 107. The instructor also holds a part 107.

Question: Can the instructor act as RPIC even though they are not flying?

I think…
yes and yes. Rpic has final decisions and final responsibility for the mission even though he or she is not at the controls.

1- If Person 1 is the RPIC but someone else is flying, then they have to be able to directly supervise the person who is flying, and if they're inside the vehicle and out of sight of what's going on, they have no ability to see something going wrong and intervene in a timely fashion to prevent a safety incident.

2- The RPIC doesn't have to be the person flying, particularly in--as in the example--an instructor / student situation.

Reactions: Ty Pilot
In my examples below, who can act as RPIC of the mission? Bonus points if it can be explained through citing regulations... I understand that 107.12 basically states that as long as a person with a 107 is within arms reach of taking control of the UAS, you can let someone without a 107 fly, but can that same thought process apply to training student pilots and Internal + External Pilot duties?

Scenario 1

There are two individuals with Part 107's conducting flight operations. Person 1 is in a van (enclosed area) at the Ground Control Station (no LOS), and Person 2 is outside of the van (within LOS) with an RC. Both can manipulate the UAS.

Question: Can Person 1 act as the RPIC?
No. Not unless they have a BLVOS waiver.

107.31 (a) states, "the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control (emphasis added) of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight".

If the person is in the van, they are not able to see the drone. They can't be any of those three listed in 107.31.
Scenario 2

A student is getting trained on a new platform and holds a part 107. The instructor also holds a part 107.

Question: Can the instructor act as RPIC even though they are not flying?
Yes. But there is no reason to unless there are insurance issues involved, and the student is a minor and can't legally be covered under the insurance policy of where ever he is a student at.

And all of these decisions must be determined before the flight.

I think…
yes and yes. Rpic has final decisions and final responsibility for the mission even though he or she is not at the controls.
The person in the van cannot be VO, RPIC, or person manipulating the controls.

See above...

The person in the van cannot be VO, RPIC, or person manipulating the controls.

See above...
I appreciate you posting this. From Pilot Institute presentation, the example sighted was an RPIC working with a non P107 holder and having the ability to immediately take control of the CS. That is what I was keying off of, thinking that the P107 outside the van would be able to conduct the mission and the P107 inside the van was relegated to officiating only i.e. not active flying. Per your sighting the regs it makes sense as the "person manipulating the controls" is not specified as either P107 or no. Thank you for the additional post!!!

Reactions: Vic Moss
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada