DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH issues.

yawyaw33

Reactions
Hello, if I say I consider myself a noob then I thought maybe my post stands a better chance of not being labelled stupid. Until recently I believed the M2P itself had a GPS module onboard, on finding out it was the smartphone or cellular tablet it had me wondering how it manages to fix a RTH point? I have just got an 8th gen iPad and intend to use it mounted on the RC can someone please advise me what if any the drawbacks will be by using a non cellular device. Thank you.

Until recently I believed the M2P itself had a GPS module onboard, on finding out it was the smartphone or cellular tablet it had me wondering how it manages to fix a RTH point?
Until recently you were correct.
The drone has its own GPS receiver and that's the only one you need.
The drone records its own home point when it first gets good GPS position data.
If you only had a GPS receiver on your phone, how would it know where the drone is, or how far away it was, or how fast it was flying?
Or how would the drone be able to RTH when it loses connection to your controller?

I have just got an 8th gen iPad and intend to use it mounted on the RC can someone please advise me what if any the drawbacks will be by using a non cellular device.
For flying, there's not much use for a GPS receiver in your phone or tablet and you can fly as normal if you turn it off

Reactions: yawyaw33
Until recently you were correct.
The drone has its own GPS receiver and that's the only one you need.
The drone records its own home point when it first gets good GPS position data.
If you only had a GPS receiver on your phone, how would it know where the drone is, or how far away it was, or how fast it was flying?
Or how would the drone be able to RTH when it loses connection to your controller?

For flying, there's not much use for a GPS receiver in your phone or tablet and you can fly as normal if you turn it off
I appreciate that, the last paragraph especially. If you don't mind while I have your attention can you give a heads up about flying indoors namely not having gps indoors is it wiser to fly tripod & is there a single measure I can take to avoid crashing into the ceiling? Thanks. P.S. I'll leave you alone after this!

I have just got an 8th gen iPad and intend to use it mounted on the RC can someone please advise me what if any the drawbacks will be by using a non cellular device. Thank you.
Depending on the drone you have and including the Mavic 2 series you can use the GPS in your tablet to update the home point to your location rather than the original take off point. The non-cellular model of iPad lacks GPS.

Certain drones like the Skydio 2 use the GPS signal in your phone/tablet for their tracking modes to follow you so that can be useful also.

I appreciate that, the last paragraph especially. If you don't mind while I have your attention can you give a heads up about flying indoors namely not having gps indoors is it wiser to fly tripod & is there a single measure I can take to avoid crashing into the ceiling? Thanks. P.S. I'll leave you alone after this!
I fly indoors, normally in P mode.
I have the recollection that tripod mode is hairier than P mode, possibly because of the side sensors being active even it the sensors are off (see photo).
You would be lucky to crash into the ceiling, the upward looking sensors keep mine about 3 to 4ft below the ceiling, they are a pain at times. I have once disabled them by putting a piece of tape over them but in general I 'leave them active'.

Attachments

• tripod indoors side obstacle.png
    tripod indoors side obstacle.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited by a moderator:
I fly indoors, normally in P mode.
I have the recollection that tripod mode is hairier than P mode, possibly because of the side sensors being active even it the sensors are off (see photo).
You would be lucky to crash into the ceiling, the upward looking sensors keep mine about 3 to 4ft below the ceiling, they are a pain at times. I have once disabled them by putting a piece of tape over them but in general I 'leave them active'.
I've just looked up the documentation about the 3 modes after seeing your image, I wouldn't have known how to respond to the two 'warnings' it looks like it's going to be P mode after all. Thanks for the heads up!

Reactions: Saladshooter
The lower message means release the sticks and let them centre themselves. The drone will not respond to stick commands until that has been done.
The lower message means release the sticks and let them centre themselves. Again I would not have interpreted the lower message as anything like that.

Reactions: Saladshooter
The lower message means release the sticks and let them centre themselves. Again I would not have interpreted the lower message as anything like that.
The warning sounds like it was written in Chinese then run through Google translate to convert to the English version.....

Hello, if I say I consider myself a noob then I thought maybe my post stands a better chance of not being labelled stupid. Until recently I believed the M2P itself had a GPS module onboard, on finding out it was the smartphone or cellular tablet it had me wondering how it manages to fix a RTH point? I have just got an 8th gen iPad and intend to use it mounted on the RC can someone please advise me what if any the drawbacks will be by using a non cellular device. Thank you.
NONE. My Lenovo M10 FHD is wi-fi only and no issues with getting GPS / sats to fly.

No GPS mean the drone flies in ATTI mode - so the drone can / will act wonky when it's in that mode. The sticks to me become super sensitive when in ATTI, since there is no GPS stabilization to help in that regard.

I'd suggest not flying inside of you can't get GPS and risk, as you said - smacking the ceiling and that 10+ foot drop to a hard floor.

My Lenovo M10 FHD is wi-fi only and no issues with getting GPS / sats to fly

So is your quad able to fix RTH points on the fly? If you are flying an M2P can tell me what mount you are using to fix the M10 to the RC that's if you aren't using a smart controller?

No GPS mean the drone flies in ATTI mode - so the drone can / will act wonky when it's in that mode. The sticks to me become super sensitive when in ATTI, since there is no GPS stabilization to help in that regard.

I'd suggest not flying inside of you can't get GPS and risk, as you said - smacking the ceiling and that 10+ foot drop to a hard floor.

So is your quad able to fix RTH points on the fly? If you are flying an M2P can tell me what mount you are using to fix the M10 to the RC that's if you aren't using a smart controller?

Have never tried changing RTH on the fly as I rarely move more than 10-20 ft from take-off. I don't know if I'd even try to take off from a moving boat, unless it was a cruise ship and that is ILLEGAL. Someone else here on the forum may be able to answer if possible from a non-cell connected device, but should be doable as some set their phones / tablets to "airplane" mode to have fewer apps and such running in the background.

I bought the Skyreat holder on Amazon I think - it's aluminum and very sturdy to hold the tablet. I also bought a longer "braided" USB-C cord; but it was not needed as the one from DJI would just fit; but I do prefer the longer cord. The holder came with a nice lanyard as well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC