DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

RTH visual clues?

Grazuncle

Reactions
Hi everyone

watching YT about landing pads... some say that DJI's look at the pad as a visual clue in addition to the GPS positioning data.... I'm not sure whether the Mini 2 has a camera facing to take a visual clue.. only distance/proximity sensors.?.

I'm getting a pad regardless but am curious on this point... can the Mini 2 take notice of the area it has taken off from?

Thanks

As far as I am aware the Mini 2 only uses GPS for landing. I have a landing pad and found that my machine generally landed on or within 3 or 4 feet of pad. Now However, I just hand land saves any problem of chopping up grass or ingesting dirt/dust into the motors. The MA 2 I believe has precision landing ability.

I have an MP2 and contend that it does recognize the surroundings terrain in addition to the GPS but have been told that I am crazy that it does not. However when I take off I hover at about 10 feet and do a 360 degree turn. Without the turn I am getting to within two to three feet of the landing pad. With the 360 turn it will land within two to three inches of the original take off point. Another words I am hitting the circle on the pad every time. Checked and satellite connection and numbers where the same. Been told that it would make no difference but sorry, real life experience has proven otherwise in my case. I will acknowledge that it is possible the 360 turn gives the GPS a chance to better fix the position but either way it is working for me.

Thanks..

I don't have anywhere near the skills to do that! I just bought a 75cm pad cos of that ?
Give it a try. My second flight out I was hand landing due to uneven terrain pretty much everywhere. Just put your hand out like you were holding a taco and grab the center of the drone.

• Haha
Reactions: Grazuncle
Been told that it would make no difference but sorry, real life experience has proven otherwise in my case. I will acknowledge that it is possible the 360 turn gives the GPS a chance to better fix the position but either way it is working for me.
Your drone uses GPS which would return it to within a few feet of the launch point.
It also has a Precision Landing feature that would put it within inches of the launch point.
But it has no ability to gain any additional information to assist with landing by rotating.
And there's no need for such a feature, since Precision landing does everything necessary to return the drone accurately. Whether you rotate the drone or not makes no difference at all.
What you've observed is purely coincidence and if you did any proper testing it would confirm that.

Reactions: SkyeHigh
It also has a Precision Landing feature that would put it within inches of the launch point.
How do you enable it? I've seen videos where the drone won't land on the dedicated pad it took off from, although in my flights I have had it land less than a foot from where it took off from. If I had to describe it's landing ability I'd use the term inconsistent.

How do you enable it? I've seen videos where the drone won't land on the dedicated pad it took off from, although in my flights I have had it land less than a foot from where it took off from. If I had to describe it's landing ability I'd use the term inconsistent.
Inconsistent sounds like GPS alone - that can place you +/- 6ft or more.
Precision Landing would be consistently within inches.
Search the manual for Precision.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twixer_bear